Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Parking Sensor Solution

PalmyZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sportwagon
I have been having intermittent issues with the parking sensors on my MY18 LT Wagon. The symptoms were intermittent dropouts with the message "Park Assist Off", as if the button had been pushed to turn them off. With Covid & whatnot, it has been hard to get the car to the dealer to get it sorted. However, it is all done now, and I thought I would share what the issues were in case anyone else has the same issue, and seem to be going around in circles.

The first attempt was before Xmas. The dealer found a fault in the breakout connector, which is where the OEM trailer loom plugs into the car. They retensioned the pins, and, hey presto, problem solved. Or, so they thought.

A brief run around in the Palmerston North sun, and the same issue reappeared. This time, there was a clear pattern. If it was sunny, or warm, the sensors did not work. Night time, or an overcast/cooler day, and they worked again.

So, back to the dealer. My thinking was possibly a fault somewhere that was heat sensitive. Well, they rang back later in the day to say they thought thay had it sorted, and that I would laugh at the solution. They said they had several instances of the same thing on Equinoxes, but not ZBs, but were sure this was the answer. They had painted the towball cover black, and problem solved. While I was quite skeptical, it has been over a week now, and there have been no issues. In fact, I treated it to a new black towball, cover and shin guard yesterday.

I hope this will be useful for someone out there

Attachments

• 20200704_140240.jpg
    20200704_140240.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 20210119_094208.jpg
    20210119_094208.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
haha, damn that must have been frustrating.

side note in most states in Australia it's actually an offense to leave the towbar attached when not in use - not that anyone listens to this dunno about NZ.

I know I have a nice GM rubber hole cover thingy on mine - been considering a brake light plug not sure if i will or not.

1611014852379.png

PalmyZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sportwagon
Ah, that would be an ideal way to go. Unfortunately, the OEM supplied by Holden New Zealand was a fixed bar...

Attachments

• 20200704_140311.jpg
    20200704_140311.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 119

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah, that would be an ideal way to go. Unfortunately, the OEM supplied by Holden New Zealand was a fixed bar...

bit of a downgrade, my VF has a factory fitted bar and yeah removable.

glad it's done.

PalmyZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sportwagon
bit of a downgrade, my VF has a factory fitted bar and yeah removable.

glad it's done.
Yeah, it would't be an issue with a removable. I see the Opel/Vauxhall one is a sort of swing down arrangement that folds up behind the bumper...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, it would't be an issue with a removable. I see the Opel/Vauxhall one is a sort of swing down arrangement that folds up behind the bumper...

the fold up ones are definitely desirable have seen a couple or different round the traps usually on euros.