Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Parts for Commodore

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
What parts do you want ? Boot lid, rear garnish, rear bar, tail light, mould around tail light? Aren't all wreckers connected by some website these days most wreckers could find you the parts ,if you want to spend the money. Agree with VS Commodore about it being a financial write off did your insurance write it off so even if its fixed the QLD roads website will say its been written off? What did the panel shop say about fixing it? From the picture the door gap doesn't appear to be closed up so Id have a go at fixing the quarter. Weather or not its worth it is up to you are you going to fix it yourself or pay a panel shop to do it?

Sticky65

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VL SL V8.
Thank you the boozer. As I said above, Budget has given me the money to fix it (the money is in the bank) it hasn't been written off. The panel shop that put the quote into Budget and has been given the go ahead to fix it has been trying to get the best possible part. He has seen a lot but hasn't found the right one yet. That is why I am posting on here to maybe help him find it. He wants the rear quarter. The only reason I went ahead with trying to fix it was the assessor from Budget that looked at it said it could be fixed and the panel shop also said it could be fixed and I got a good payout to fix it.

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Sticky,

You've been on here for 5 minutes and you're already reading the riot act to longer term members. Just remember who it was that put up that Carsales link as a sign of aggression. Like I said Carsales is full of Dreamers with totally unrealistic expectations. If you value a car by their high-balled prices then you're barking up the wrong tree.

It's very funny to see most members on here have agreed with my comments but you seem to want to buck the trend and now say its all about hunting for parts, so what is it then ?, justifying how much YOU thing a VL is worth or actually hunting for parts.

Regardless your car is an economic write off and ofcourse it can be fixed. It is merely about how much cash you want to throw at it. Anything can be done if you throw enough money around. Oh and while you're at it why not tell us how much this insurance company has paid you instead of teasing us about how much you're in front out of them with your "BOLD" the money is in the bank statements. This all a bit childish.

And lastly your stupid antagonising comment "maybe jealous". If you take your head out of your a***e you might get along here instead of picking silly fights.

Last edited:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
If it were me, i'd be hunting facebook and gumtree for cheap SL's with the usual rust around the screens that have an otherwise good body and then unpick the panels you need from that.

You shouldnt have to pay more than $1000 for a parts car. And from that you should get everything you need apart from maybe the quarter depending on what the panel shop quoted to do for their repair quote (were they going to replace the panel or beat it back into shape and bog the rest?)

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
The parts shouldn't be that hard to get its reaching the wallet to pay for them is the hard part. In the case of the vh I was tossing off about the other day the local wrecker has organised for ole mate in to pick them up in Clayton near where he lives he never told me the price as he knows Ill fight him for a dollar but the parts I asked him for have all been found apparently. There is ******** tax with the bloke I see so I'm not allowed to speak to him too much.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I see the majority of people on here telling the Op, the car is a write off, so good on him for biting back.

It seems plain, the panel beater deems to economically sound to repair and forwarded the assessment to the insurance company for approval, which they have done.

When my VC was rear ended, the damage wasn't as bad as the OP's, yet the first two panel beaters I went to said, write off....The 3rd said reapirable.....Cost $3000....And crap, Shannons say my VC is worth $4,500

End of the day, instead of saying scrap the car, actually help the poor bastard find the parts he needs, which some have actually done....He obviously loves his ride.

And finally, to the OP....Are you willing to pay for freight? I should be able to find a good rear cut in S.A.....PM if you want me to find one....Would take me 24 hours to find one

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If a bit more had been explained in the original post (full damage, repair quote, insurance payout, write-off, parts needed) maybe the misunderstandings and upsetness would not have happened.
Many years ago, my Kingswood wagon was rear-ended. From 2 metres it needed a new rear bumper and a bit of a ding in the tailgate.
Rear floor needed to be stretched and straightened, new towbar, new fuel tank. And much dialogue with insurance company who wanted to write it off.
And in NSW a write-off means exactly that. Bye-bye car, regardless of condition, emotional and financial attachments

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi FJ,

Yes my point exactly............................thrown a crumb and expect a full loaf of bread back. Unfortunately that's just how some people expect information to be given up in full over a forum that they've been a member of for no more than five minutes.

None of this would've happened had the OP been far more freely forthcoming with information to give us all the bigger picture.

Now in regards to write offs, I personally have no problem with write offs being exactly that in NSW.

I just yesterday went to look at a Hyundia i30 for the daughter and was told a whole crock of shite by the owner that said he was selling it on behalf of a friend that was pregnant and could no longer drive. This is a 65,000 Km car that looked too good across the front to have come from Crystal Brook (regional SA). Sure it would've had stone chips etc. to show it's authenticity.

The guy selling this was really tight lipped and of Middle Eastern origin. I took it for a drive and guess what, A/C didn't work, no gas.........steering wheel was pointing off to the left.

When I got back the seller said he would get the A/C gassed on that day if I bought it and he knew it didn't work but was hoping that no one would pick it, but hey it was a 39 degree day and who wouldn't switch on the air ???

I then decided to have a look underneath only to find fresh body schutzing on the rails just behind the front wheels on both sides and also just in front of the rear wheels on both sides. Then to make matters worse both drivers side sill panel lips had been crushed up and roughly bent back down but missing heaps of paint. By now I'm sure you've gotten the picture and worked out that this vehicle had fork lift damage all on the underside and they've tried to hide it.

This was no private sale of a pregnant woman's car and believe me I didn't buy that garbage story for one minute.

This was a rebirthed vehicle originally sold through the damaged vehicle auctions with total and utter lies behind it and for that reason I feel it's time that when an insurance company writes a car off that it never goes back on the road again. It should only ever be used for parts and parts there of.

As of late I've attended a few of these auctions with the sole intent to buy a low km VS to VY for the engine to use in one of my VS' and I'm shocked to see who attends these auctions and that these clowns are patching up bombs and getting them back on to Australian Roads.

It's time to stop this backyard cottage industry built solely on greed and an easy buck and then for another story to end up on Tracey Grimshaw's Current Affair program.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I see the majority of people on here telling the Op, the car is a write off, so good on him for biting back.
End of the day, instead of saying scrap the car, actually help the poor bastard find the parts he needs, which some have actually done....He obviously loves his ride.

It's no wonder some new members only post once or twice and never come back again
Always got to be some wanker with a negative attitude posting crappy comments

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's no wonder some new members only post once or twice and never come back again
Always got to be some wanker with a negative attitude posting crappy comments

certainly beats blowin' smoke up someone's arse and giving them unrealistic hopes as we can all do that.