Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Parts for Commodore

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
certainly beats blowin' smoke up someone's arse and giving them unrealistic hopes as we can all do that.

So how does being negative and posting crap replies help with answering the OP's question ?
The simple answer......It doesn't
What it does do though, is highlight to other forum members that you're a grumpy tool with a bad attitude
At the end of the day it is what it is I suppose, maybe some people just can't help but be arrogant assholes

Sticky65

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VL SL V8.
Thank you VCCommodore, Tonner Matt, Boozer, VC Commodore, if you can find me the panel, maybe a good boot with pictures I would greatly appreciate it. I could take them to the panel shop and show him. I'm glad he is very fussy. To the other person on here I don't tell him how much his car or cars are worth and I would never attempt to. In my first post all I said I was looking for were parts, nothing else. I thought the whole idea of this forum was to help people and to get those Commodores back on the road purring. I also think the person wanting $45000
is pushing the proverbial you know what uphill with a chain, but I posted it as a bit of an example that VL V8s are not real cheap anymore.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It's no wonder some new members only post once or twice and never come back again
Always got to be some wanker with a negative attitude posting crappy comments

Car isn't a write off and surprise surprise, some people acutally want to repair their car, rather than scrap it.....However there are others that want to just post up, ditch this and that and start again

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
certainly beats blowin' smoke up someone's arse and giving them unrealistic hopes as we can all do that.

It's this simple....The OP obviously wants to fix his car, so he has come on here hoping for some help....Instead, some people want to bag the crap out of him, for wanting to fix his car, by saying scrap it.

Surprise surprise pal.....It can be fixed.....I had a 1977 model car with 2 bent chassis rails....1 was 5 cm up, the other 4 cm down....Got the rails replaced....Signed off by an engineer and the car is happily trundling around this state that you live in.

The OP's car is repairable to a standard to which it can be roadworthy, providing he gets the right crash repairer, which I assume he has....So instead of discouraging people, try help if possible

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Car isn't a write off and surprise surprise, some people acutally want to repair their car, rather than scrap it.....

I don't think that the damage is enough to write it off, but everybody is going to have their own thoughts and opinions
That damage probably would have been considered "cosmetic or minor" by panel beaters many years ago
Years ago I remember them repairing damage like this on a weekly basis....Pretty sure that they used to call it a "Cut and shut"

30 odd years ago my old man was running a wrecking yard, and he used to also buy the wrecks from the auctions for yard stock
At one of these auctions he bought himself:
A TE Cortina that had been hit squarely up the rear.....And it was in a lot worse condition than the OP's VL
A VB commodore that had been hit in the right rear quarter
Long story short, both these cars were repaired by doing a "cut and shut" with donor body panels supplied from good wrecks in the yard
And after they were repaired, both vehicles were used as my old girls daily drivers
The old man sold the commodore and we actually ended up keeping the Cortina for about 4 or 5 years

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
financial write-off I was asking about as would the vehicle have to go thru a VIV's Inspection before it can be registered?
That will eat money or it has on the few I've been involved in I saw the wrecker today pity I didn't read here earlier I would of asked him a price be careful if you want the quarter panel its not made of bog on the rear cut my oldman was done over with a crusty quarter once.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Guys, TM and VC ........you are jumping down my throat without understanding why I said what I did.

Yes these cars back in "their" day were repaired with far worse damage done to them, couldn't agree more........ hey you could even be able to get a "brand new" replacement body in white and paint them the required colour in the crash shop and then transpose all the goodies into the replacement shell. GMH allocated a part number for a replacement back then, but now this no longer happens for a number of reasons.

The fact of the matter is that a 6 cylinder VL is worth far less than any V8 variant and now even the OP states that the link he put up to that V8 VL was dramatically over priced and as such this was my point about that, so again why shoot me down over bad information supplied by the OP. BTW I understand that the Op's VL is a V8 but in saying that it's an SL and not a Calais.

I totally understand the owner wanting to repair it, hell if mine got damaged I'd want to repair it also opposed to seeing it go to scrap, but then one must consider the actual financial worth of the car versus the repair costs in total. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer over it just looking at it with an open mind rather than the emotional aspect of it all.

Anything can be repaired if you are willing to throw enough cash at it, but then it is about how much cash you want to throw at it that is the deciding factor.

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
What it does do though, is highlight to other forum members that you're a grumpy tool with a bad attitude
At the end of the day it is what it is I suppose, maybe some people just can't help but be arrogant assholes

Honestly Matt, I don't really appreciate your tone as no one here has attacked anyone, so as such there's no need for expletive language.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
In Tas we have rules around repairable write-off. A back yarder is able to do the work but it needs to be signed off by an approved crash repairing business. They then have to give you a certificate stating that the work has been one to an appropriately high standard without an mech or safety issues. Very few business owners will place their own rep at risk by signing off on other peoples work.

It sucks in some ways as "minor damage" can mean the car ends up in the wreckers. Why I say it sucks for some of us car enthusiasts is if like me fixing up our old buses that originally cost us $2.5K but to be better than most of the rest of the same vehicles on the road we pump in another $2k. But when some wanker texting while driving T-bones us, our car that we have looked after and all fixed up gets written off because it's worth no more than the other P'sOS of the same model that get around on the road. In some ways you take a risk in have full comp like I have on my bus, unless they offer you a buy back in the policy if total loss occurs.