Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Parts to remove/sell before selling car to scrap metal place

VRtoVStoVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I have a '01 VX Berlina which was listed as a write off by the insurance company due to damage to the front passenger side structure of the car, I think. The car still goes, but the engine's probably on its last legs since it's clocked over 400,000 km's. After I was slowly T-boned in the passenger side, I managed to drive the 4 or 5 km's from the accident home, albeit slowly and there was some stiff steering, so definitely something was fekt.

12 months prior to the accident, I'd replaced several small components, such as light globes, fuses, an indicator rod/stick, the power window module, the brake pads and a few other things like air/oil filters etc. but nothing major. Prior to that we'd fixed the heater tap 3 or so years ago but nothing major for years except for buying a brand new battery a week or two before the accident.

I've noticed that there's plenty of parts that are selling between $20 and $100 online, and it seems like I should take those parts off the car myself and sell them because selling the car straight to the scrap metal place only gets me $50 total for the car, which does include the towing fee but geez, that just seems like such a ripoff because whenever I've been there to buy a mirror or somehing it costs me almost $50. I could make that much just by selling the tow ball, let alone the whole damn car.

So I'm thinking of taking the easy to remove parts such as the 5 matching VS Calais wheels (the reason I have them is because unfortunately one of the 17" low profile wheels I had for the VX cracked, and there were only 4 - the spare was a shitty 15" and I learned driving with three 17" wheels and one 15" was not a good idea for several reasons, especially safety. So I swapped three 17" low profile wheels for five 15" VS Calais wheels). There's also 4 near brand new tyres, with around a month or so wear plus all the other little things such as the towball, side mirrors etc.

So, my question is this: what other parts should I be looking at selling individually online? Is there anything specific under the bonnet that I should consider? The alternator isn't old, is it worth trying to sell the radiator? What about the back seat, head rests and that kind of thing, do people buy that kind of stuff?

The other option would be trying to sell the car as is to someone with a VX who would buy the car for parts alone - considering that I don't like in a large city I think that would be difficult.

Cheers for your help.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
It's a matter of whether you can handle the no doubt numerous low ballers and time wasters and if it's worth any money you get.

VRtoVStoVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Thanks mate, as a human I'm always willing to make a fair deal but I'd preferably be selling on ebay or on a local buy/swap/sell thing on facebook with a fixed price rather than advertise in the local paper or a garage sale or something. I know you get your lowballers on those places too, but it's easy enough to tell them to **** off.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
After Xmas were doing the same but not bothering selling off any of the unwanted parts. After having the car for 8 years it owes us nothing so I'm going to list the parts as free. What were doing is retiring the old girl and using as much as possible in our 48 Austin A70 hot rod project.

Attachments

• 2002 VX Holden Commodore 31.03.19 Example .jpg
    2002 VX Holden Commodore 31.03.19 Example .jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Austin A70  1948 - 49.jpg
    Austin A70 1948 - 49.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 184

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
Thanks mate, as a human I'm always willing to make a fair deal but I'd preferably be selling on ebay or on a local buy/swap/sell thing on facebook with a fixed price rather than advertise in the local paper or a garage sale or something. I know you get your lowballers on those places too, but it's easy enough to tell them to **** off.
I saw a great post on an older lady's facebook page the other day that said; The one thing in life I regret is I didn't tell enough people to **** off. :)