Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Passenger headlight issue

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Keegzzz, May 17, 2018 at 6:13 AM.

1. Keegzzz

Keegzzz Member

Members Ride:
    Vt Calais
    Recently I’ve had an issue with the passenger headlight which Holden can’t seem to figure out (no surprise there)
    So the passenger headlight goes down to a low beam, (Parker light) and the indicator when applied is also dimmed.
    In addition the little indicator on the passenger side of the car behind the front wheel comes on and stays.
    When turning the high beams on, the passenger headlight then turns off altogether. Also when I then turn off and lock the car when the lights are doing this ‘thing’ the car honks as though there is a door left open. (2 honks)

So this issues comes and goes when going over bigger bumps, but not always. Also, when the headlights are fine, indicating left can cause this issues to start also.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Keegzzz

Keegzzz Member

Members Ride:
    Vt Calais
    This is when the high beams are turned on. As you can see the side indicator is on and the passenger headlight is off.

Attached Files:

3. Keegzzz

Keegzzz Member

Members Ride:
    Vt Calais
    And this is the standard lighting, the passenger headlight still in Parker and the side indicator on.

Attached Files:

4. LodiBruce

LodiBruce New Member

Members Ride:
    2015 Chevy SS Sedan
    Have you made any recent changes to the lighting itself? Like LED's or aftermarket HID? It sounds like a ground fault issue or the Body Control Module has gone belly up. B.

5. Skylarking

Skylarking Active Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    +1 for what LodiBGruce said.

Also, as headlamp issues within VF commodores can result in diagnostic fault codes, do you know if any such codes were found by the dealer?

The reality is, i'm just amazed that a service department has no idea how to resolve such issues (assuming you haven't modded anything).

Remember, headlamps are an item checked during a roadworthy and if they are not functioning correctly, will results in a roadworthy failure. As such, with the faults you describe, the roadworthy status of your vehicle must be in question. And since insurance companies could be difficult with any potential claims under such circumstances, I'd be concerned as one takes a big risk driving around under such conditions.

So, i'd be rather vocal towards the dealership service manager if he tries and sends me home in an unroadworthy vehicle, especially so if he vehicle is still covered by manufacturers warranty. In such a case I'd want a loan car while they sorted out the issue...

6. RiCeY

RiCeY F O R U M W A R R I O R

Members Ride:
    VZ SV8 6spd 5.7
    Check the earth on the passenger side in the engine bay, follow the harness from the headlight connector to the earth point.

VT2Commie and 426Cuda like this.