Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Passenger rear window glass opening without any button operations

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Hello all,
The passenger side rear door window glass is randomly opening 50 to 75mm without any button operation. (2015 VF Sedan)
I am looking for a heads up for the condition if possible, before I pull door skins, lift carpets etc..

I don't think the power windows are controlled by any computers, so the issue could be a pinched wire somewhere in the drivers door control box wiring loom, body wiring or a dodgy switch in the drivers door control box or in the rear door window switch itself?

Are the window winder electrical mechanisms prone to "mechanically" slipping from the closed position?
The window glass opens and closes smoothly without any grinding, slipping etc. .

Wife thinks she heard the window motor operate once as I getting out through the driver front door. (Ignition keys in hand).
It has happened three times but is not predictable.
I tried opening and closing doors, ignition on/off, ignition key out, in various combinations, but I could not bring on the condition

Anyone had this issue?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
not 100% sure with the vf but around 2012 gm made the switch to a bcm operated system which takes low voltage inputs pulled hi and low to command the window motor and i think the vf may be one of the ones that does it.

i would first try and remove the battery lead for 5 mins and then reconnect it then start the vehicle and wind each window one at a time fully down then wait 3 seconds and wind it fully up using the drivers door switch.
that should reset the learning process and then see if it still does it.

if it continues then it could be coming from the drivers door or the door the glass is moving in, i would check the switch modules and the harness that goes from the door to the pillar.

try and unplug the rear door switch module and see if it still happens and then try the same with the drivers door to try and rule out a faulty switch module.

if it is not the switches it might be the wiring which you will need to do a continuity test on each wire from the plug on the window switch module to inside of the pillar to rule out a broken wire in the door jam, but i would expect a short to cause the window to move not a broken wire so a visual inspection might be needed.
a broken wire would normally prevent the window operating.

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Is anyone hitting the switch on the drivers door? Very easy to do while opening the door or closing it.

ZB_Driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY2018 ZB LT 2.0T Diesel
Approx 20 years ago (Holden TS Astra) I wrote a Service Bulletin for the Dealers telling them about an issue where water was getting into the rear door harness connectors causing the windows to go up and down by themselves. Since they didn't want to spend the money to retooling the connector design they applied dielectric grease to the harness connector internals to prevent water intrusion. We use this as a "field fix" for cars already built to stop them coming back. Just google "Dielectric Grease" (first result that comes up is Permatex from SuperCheapAuto). I quick search on Youtube suggests this video might tell you how to use it properly:

Last edited:

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
Hello all,
The passenger side rear door window glass is randomly opening 50 to 75mm without any button operation. (2015 VF Sedan)
I am looking for a heads up for the condition if possible, before I pull door skins, lift carpets etc..

I don't think the power windows are controlled by any computers, so the issue could be a pinched wire somewhere in the drivers door control box wiring loom, body wiring or a dodgy switch in the drivers door control box or in the rear door window switch itself?

Are the window winder electrical mechanisms prone to "mechanically" slipping from the closed position?
The window glass opens and closes smoothly without any grinding, slipping etc. .

Wife thinks she heard the window motor operate once as I getting out through the driver front door. (Ignition keys in hand).
It has happened three times but is not predictable.
I tried opening and closing doors, ignition on/off, ignition key out, in various combinations, but I could not bring on the condition

Anyone had this issue?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Hi, yes have same unresolved issue currently on my front passenger window on a VF SV6, it simply just started doing it one day, I can inch it up by not fully leifting the button to engae the "Auto" close, but its damned annoying and for some reason no-one appears to know how to reset the upper and lower limits on these windows. I see many other manufacturers have similar issues where you can rest the travel limits and you're right, but appears GM Holden/Chev SS is different technology maybe? I'm going to pull my door skin off and investigate further. (and no, my glass isn't stiff or sticking, it moves easily and smoothly like the other windows) :eek:) Woody.

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
not 100% sure with the vf but around 2012 gm made the switch to a bcm operated system which takes low voltage inputs pulled hi and low to command the window motor and i think the vf may be one of the ones that does it.

i would first try and remove the battery lead for 5 mins and then reconnect it then start the vehicle and wind each window one at a time fully down then wait 3 seconds and wind it fully up using the drivers door switch.
that should reset the learning process and then see if it still does it.

if it continues then it could be coming from the drivers door or the door the glass is moving in, i would check the switch modules and the harness that goes from the door to the pillar.

try and unplug the rear door switch module and see if it still happens and then try the same with the drivers door to try and rule out a faulty switch module.

if it is not the switches it might be the wiring which you will need to do a continuity test on each wire from the plug on the window switch module to inside of the pillar to rule out a broken wire in the door jam, but i would expect a short to cause the window to move not a broken wire so a visual inspection might be needed.
a broken wire would normally prevent the window operating.
Hi Stooge, you mentioned glass moving in, I think my front pass. window which goes up then reverses down a few inches actually does this, I assume maybe there's some adjustment down inside to align the glass?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hi Stooge, you mentioned glass moving in, I think my front pass. window which goes up then reverses down a few inches actually does this, I assume maybe there's some adjustment down inside to align the glass?

i would put all the windows fully up and then pull the negitive battery lead off for 5 minutes and then put it back on, start the vehicle and then fully run the window down keeping the button pressed down then wait 3 seconds then let the button go and then fully wind it up holding the up and wait 3 seconds then let the button go.
do the drivers door then do the passenger door.

after that see if the window operates correctly.