Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Passenger seat wiring disconnected.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
As others have said, it’ll be for the sensor that chimes should someone sit in the seat without their seatbelt on

All the airbag connectors will be colour coded in yellow

Are they always red? I thought the drivers airbag has a yellow and red plug?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
i wonder what other dings and dongs the previous owner disabled.

honestly if you put boxes on front seats and heavier bags having those stupid sensors go off is annoying as anything.

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
Are they always red? I thought the drivers airbag has a yellow and red plug?
I took the seat out to repair some upholstery that had come loose and the only other connector for the seat was a big yellow lever type connector.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
I took the seat out to repair some upholstery that had come loose and the only other connector for the seat was a big yellow lever type connector.

Is that the plug in the floor pan of the vehicle?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
no they are just like any other plug, you can unplug an airbag with ease.
the handsfree mic in the roof is harder to unplug than the airbags :confused:
Hm, from my casual reading, there is a global standard for airbag connectors. In fact, the connector going to the airbag itself are meant to be bright yellow and have an internal link that shorts the pins when the plug is removed. Such design is a safety feature that mitigates any risk of static discharge causing an inadvertant deployment of airbag (or seatbelt tensioner, etc) and have saved technicians lives. Supposedly, as part of the standard, these connectors are meant to be more difficult to disconnect and often have levers, clips or bolts holding them together.

Also, as the seat occupancy connector are a vital part of the airbag deployment system, i'd have also thought that such connectors would be designed so that they are identifiable and difficult to disconnect. But such seems not the case (which i think is an oversight). As such, I'd not want any connectors left unplugged since I couldn't be sure the function they frovide wouldn't be safety related.

So Tripxit is on the correct part in asking.

Here is a hella article on airbags that may be of interest (the website has lots of other interesting info including BCM mods to allow LED tail lights in VW golfs without causing fault lamps to come on).

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
Also, as the seat occupancy connector are a vital part of the airbag deployment system, i'd have also thought that such connectors would be designed so that they are identifiable and difficult to disconnect. But such seems not the case (which i think is an oversight). As such, I'd not want any connectors left unplugged since I couldn't be sure the function they frovide wouldn't be safety related.
The connector I first posted about is the seat sensor I believe as others have said. I connected it and tested it, the seat alarm beeps with weight on the seat and no seat belt connected (Unfortunately I forgot to test it before to see if it wasn't working in the first place).

There is also a main seat harness connector under the seat that connects to a floor connector (for airbag and sensor). This connector has a big yellow lever on it that is used to disconnect it. There is also a tab that locks the lever which needs to be pressed before the lever can be moved so there is no way this connector could ever be kicked/pulled or just fall apart.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
as part of the standard, these connectors are meant to be more difficult to disconnect and often have levers, clips or bolts holding them together.

I think you will find the reason they are not hard to disconnect is because the more difficult it is to disconnect increases the risk of damage to the plug when someone is trying to disconnect it.
they will have standards to make sure the plug remains securely connected but they will be able to disconnected pretty easily like any other plug.
every airbag plug I have come across has been easy to disconnect without needing any tools but the mic in the roof console is a pain in the ass and requires a flathead screwdriver or some good fingernails lol

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
The connector I first posted about is the seat sensor I believe as others have said. I connected it and tested it, the seat alarm beeps with weight on the seat and no seat belt connected (Unfortunately I forgot to test it before to see if it wasn't working in the first place).

There is also a main seat harness connector under the seat that connects to a floor connector (for airbag and sensor). This connector has a big yellow lever on it that is used to disconnect it. There is also a tab that locks the lever which needs to be pressed before the lever can be moved so there is no way this connector could ever be kicked/pulled or just fall apart.

No I doubt it. It also has a cover over it.