Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Passenger Seatbelt Light.

revv_head

I DRIVE A V6 SS :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
Hey I have a series II S pack and when i shine a torch on the dash, (which is the one pictured in the main banner fyi) i can see a seatbelt picture with the word pass under it. I'm assuming this is a Passenger Seatbelt light but i've never seen it work and dont even think i have sensors in my passenger seat. Why would it be here. Only S packs get this set of gauges and the entire cluster is only used within exec-acclaim/spack levels.

Junny

purrrrrr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo + shitty painted vp
ive been wondering about those lights too.
and why dont we have those ones that come one when ur door not shut

revv_head

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
yeah thats gay. everyother car i know since about 1990 has those lights.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I imagine to get this light to work, you would need to duplicate the wiring that already exists for the driver's seat belt warning light.

The driver's side warning light is activated from the seat belt catch. There are two wires running from the loom that also activates the seat belt tensioner in a prang. The wires are black and black with white tracer. They lead into the main wiring harness at the seat wiring connector between the driver's seat and the B pillar. I will have a look at the wiring diagrams to see if I can work out where to from there. Once that's done, it might be a comparitively simple matter of duplicating the wiring up to the warning light.

(But I bet it's harder than that!) Watch this space.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Just checked the wiring diag's. The driver's seat alarm is actually only fed by the black./white wire. This feeds directly to the instrument panel light.

A check of the instrument panel wiring doesn't even show the passenger light as installed but not connected. I'm not familiar with the back of the VY instruments but I know they use multi-pin fixed plugs like the earlier models, so the wiring would have to feed into one of those plugs. You would then need the printed circuit at the back of the instruments to actually feed the passenger warning light. If it does feed that location, then I am assuming that you would need to install the globe, run the wire and Bob's your uncle.

Of course, I could be very wrong.

Is anybody familiar with the back of the instrument panel, or have an old one somewhere that they can check the printed circuits?

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Calaber, i'll check the wiring diagrams when i get home from Holden, but i'm fairly sure there's more to it than that. The Series 2 clusters are the ones with the 3 screens right? The series I i know had a different look, but can't remember if the series 2 has 3 screens.

I thought the seat belt catch patched into either the BCM or the SRS system. I could be wrong though, but when the alarm goes off it also sets off the speaker alarm to alert the driver.

I think the passenger side alarm was never put into real use because as it sits at the moment it would always alert the driver even if only the driver was in the car. The idea was to put a sensor to work out that there was a passenger on the actual seat, and if there was then alert when there was no seatbelt. But those sensors arn't in the S pack vehicles!

revv_head

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
Series 2 had different design but only single window. Only berlina and calais had 3 window. not even ss.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
OK, looking through the holden manual it shows that the drivers seat belt warning has voltage from the battery and then the circuit continues on to a "Timer". Thats where the details on that circuit end! It doesn't say anything about the passenger one either. I would think that this timer is actually part of the BCM. So getting the passenger one to work will be quite difficult.

I even had a look at another manual, and there's absolutly NOTHING in that manual [melbourne warehouse's manual]!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hi Alien

Yeah, it occurred to me that you would need to fit the activating switch into the passenger seat belt mechanism too, and that would be a bitch, unless you could somehow convert a driver's side belt.

I can't even say I've noticed the blanked off light in my instrument panel (3 window type) but then, I've never looked closely at it.

It does make you wonder why the provision for the light was provided if it was never used, doesn't it?