Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

passengers airbag cover warped, replaceable ?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The airbag cover on the passengers side of dash is curling up at the edges , probably due to heat from the sun.
Is it easy, or possible to replace ? can i just pull it off or does the dash pad have to come out ? :cry:

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
possible to replace: if you can find a good condition one bud. Now an obsolete item from holden afaik
you can pull it off, but it doesn't look the best. to reattach it or another one should u find 1, the airbag unit needs to be dropped from behind the glovebox area. it's a large time consuming job mate. im not sure how else you could do it. i've put a bit of glue on mine where it won't affect the airbag's performance, there's a possibility if you know what your doing
CC

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
ah bugger, I was hoping the new one would just pop in from the top of the dash !!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Here is what I've found useful - mine was starting to curl so I placed some of that "no slip" rubberised mesh stuff you buy at Crazy Clarks or Spotlight for stopping things moving about above the panel - overlapped it about 200mm all round. Then I fitted a dash protector to hold the no slip stuff against the pad. I figured it may flatten the panel and it has. Maybe the no slip stuff has replaced the elasticisers that have evaporated from the panel or what...but mine is now softer, you can press the panel and it lays flat if I lift the dash protector to inspect it. My dash protector is the one designed for a pass side airbag.
So hopefully greenacc it can do the same for you....and it costs almost zero.
Good Luck.

Last edited:

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
id personally look at replacing it - regardless of how big a job it is.
Id rather not take the chance that its stuffed and doesnt work when it most needed.
it may only be a visual thing at the moment but you dont know how a de-laminated airbag cover is going to affect its performance.
do you want to risk your Gf's pretty little head because it was "too hard a job" to fix it?

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
id personally look at replacing it - regardless of how big a job it is.
Id rather not take the chance that its stuffed and doesnt work when it most needed.
it may only be a visual thing at the moment but you dont know how a de-laminated airbag cover is going to affect its performance.
do you want to risk your Gf's pretty little head because it was "too hard a job" to fix it?

not sure how your reffering to it mate, so apologies if im on the wrong track. The lifting cover shouldn't affect airbag performance, as it is the cover that lifts bag when the airbag deploys. but as soon as people start trying to fix it and putting stuff in the wrong places, then it becomes a safety issue.