Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PBR Big Brake upgrade

lastlegend

Phantom VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Black VY SS + 1999 Silver VT Olympic Sedan
Hi all,

I have purchased a full Front & Rear PBR HSV big brake upgrade package for my VY SS and need a question answered by anyone who may know or have a HSV.

Can you get the backing plates to suit these Bigger Rotors?

I was informed that HSV don't put these on their cars when they do the bigger brakes?

Any help would be great.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Well if HSV dont put the plates on, then there would be no need to fit them.

In answer to ur question is to ring up performance brake outlets asking for backing plates for a certain diameter rotor.

taztassio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S L67
you drill out the rivets and take off the front dust guard/backing plate.

the rears are fine as is.

i did the conversion to my VY

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I ran HSV VX's on my VS for years without backing plates with no problems even on dirt roads.
My current VZ Senator doesn't have backing plates.

SW

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
backing plates mainly to stop dirt and stones, half the times the stones get stuck between the discs and backing plate and cause a high pitched squeal and the brake dust produced from some pads is just as bad as dirt anyway, so if hsv don't use them, then no need.

lastlegend

Phantom VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys, I will be installing these on the SS this weekend and I have one last question if anyone can help...

do you need to upgrade to braid brake lines as well when using bigger brakes?

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
do you need to upgrade to braid brake lines as well when using bigger brakes?
No, and contrary to popular beleif braided lines only make a difference when you're original rubber lines are flogged out, or the fluid shot and when it boils forces the lines to expand.

90% of people who change to braided lines then brag about how good they are only do so because they also happen to change the fluid at the same time which makes a bigger difference...

lastlegend

Phantom VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
No, and contrary to popular beleif braided lines only make a difference when you're original rubber lines are flogged out, or the fluid shot and when it boils forces the lines to expand.

90% of people who change to braided lines then brag about how good they are only do so because they also happen to change the fluid at the same time which makes a bigger difference...

Thanks GSLRALLYSPORT, I will stick with what has come in the kit then they are ADR SPEC Rubber not braided....I suppose it says something if PBR supplied them as part of the package.

lastlegend

Phantom VY SS
Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought I would update this thread with some tips for anyone who is thinking about upgrading their brakes / Calipers.

I had my mate who has a mobile brake business (here in the Redlands) fit these upgrades onto my VYSS about a week ago and we struck an un-known problem when we installed the Rear Calipers.

As the new Rear Calipers are wider than the standard calipers we took the car for a test drive after we fitted the brake upgrade and noticed a very loud banging noise when we went over bumps, we discovered that the rear shocks outer dust cover tube was smashing down on the rear brake bleeder bolts causing the outer tube to peel back where it hit the bolts ( due to the calipers being wider) we thought at first to space them out but this only caused the tubes to rub on the inner guards.

I decided after the test drive had damaged the rear shocks to replace them with Pedders Sport low riders which are a fraction narrower than the standard and suited the SSL Springs but after another test drive we had the same issue but not as bad this time.

We resolved the issue by removing about an inch with a pipe cutter from the outer dust cover on the pedders which has resolved the problem and now gives the rear shocks plenty of travel without hitting the bleeder bolt on each caliper.

Just thought I would post this update just incase anyone else has a similar issue.