Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PC Problem

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Just wondering if anybody would be able to shed some light on a problem im having with an old Intel 2 Era Celeron i've got.

Used to be my main PC until about a year ago when i unplugged it to transport it to downstairs, then when i plugged it in the thing shat itself (Bang and smoke from P/Supply.) I checked the powersupply and there was nothing that seemed to be very wrong with it, although i cant remember what was wrong now, so i bought a new power supply (read used) and plugged that in, it worked fine for about 30 seconds and then smoke started coming from he fan unit on the power supply so i shut it down quick smart.

I've since tried pulling it out, and plugging it all back in, checking all the connections etc, but it has not fired back up again.

I've most likely screwed the second PS but i need to know what might be causing the thing to kill powersupplys after i've had it working fine for years then once i moved it (not for the first time) it started killing power supplys.

Any help or thoughts greatly appreciated

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Kinda sounds like its a dodgy electrical socket. Somethings frying it and thats the only real reason that I can think of, but the fact that its melting straight up is a bit weird.

All I'd suggest would be to take it to a pc shop and get them to fix it- get a warranty, or a guarantee.. Try it in a different powerpoint. If it works, take it downstairs to your other powerpoint, if it fails call your electrician. If it doesn't your in business.

If it fails the first time take it to the repairer and say hey it wasn't fixed its still doing it.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Just wondering if anybody would be able to shed some light on a problem im having with an old Intel 2 Era Celeron i've got.

Used to be my main PC until about a year ago when i unplugged it to transport it to downstairs, then when i plugged it in the thing shat itself (Bang and smoke from P/Supply.) I checked the powersupply and there was nothing that seemed to be very wrong with it, although i cant remember what was wrong now, so i bought a new power supply (read used) and plugged that in, it worked fine for about 30 seconds and then smoke started coming from he fan unit on the power supply so i shut it down quick smart.

I've since tried pulling it out, and plugging it all back in, checking all the connections etc, but it has not fired back up again.

I've most likely screwed the second PS but i need to know what might be causing the thing to kill powersupplys after i've had it working fine for years then once i moved it (not for the first time) it started killing power supplys.

Any help or thoughts greatly appreciated

Go buy a new psu (they are around $30 - $45) and try that. Never been a fan of 2nd hand ones myself. Also get a sparky to check your power outlet. It might be the cause of your trouble.

Reaper

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
When i rigged up the second ps i turned it on upstairs so it was a different socket all together, i now have the PC im currently using plugged into the socket which the first one was plugged into, so i dont think its an outlet issue on the house side

Back to the drawing board i guess or buy another psu, then again, dont want to fry that one aswell

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
Check theres not a screw short circuting in the works

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
Could be any of your components in the computer that have a direct connection to the PSU short circuiting it... Not really anything you can do yourself to rectify it without going through numerous PSU testing it.

You're better off taking it to a shop where the fault testing lies in their hands, costing you less money.

You can buy a budget computer for around $400 these days, I'd go down that path instead though.