Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PCM and Roller Rockers install instructions?

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Hey guys,

Just received my new PCM tune and 1.9 roller rockers w/push rods for my VYII ecotec.
Will install tomorrow but was wanting to get some rough idea on an install process for each. MACE's site doesn't feature install instructions for these parts so I was wanting to know if anyone has done a write-up in the past?

A quick search found nothing elaborate, just something to do with installing the push rods with correct orientation?
And how to correctly torque the rockers once in place? Can I just torque to spec as is or do I have to torque when rocker is closed/open?
I've heard they can rattle if not torqued correctly.

Install looks easy enough but a guide to follow would be appreciated.
As far as the PCM goes, simple plug and play, but where is it? Is it behind the left hand kick panel in the footwell?

Cheers

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I can't say I have done it before, But I would remove rockers only when there relevant valve is closed.
It should possibly go something like this:
Remove old rocker and pushrod, Assembly lube both ends of pushrod as well as valve head, re-install and torque down. Rotate engine so that the next set of rockers are adjacent closed valves and repeat.

Also, Remove engine fuse before pulling chip (just to be extra safe)

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I can't say I have done it before, But I would remove rockers only when there relevant valve is closed.
It should possibly go something like this:
Remove old rocker and pushrod, Assembly lube both ends of pushrod as well as valve head, re-install and torque down. Rotate engine so that the next set of rockers are adjacent closed valves and repeat.

Also, Remove engine fuse before pulling chip (just to be extra safe)

Ok that makes sense. Do you know anything about the push rod orientation? I remember reading while doing a search that there is a way to put them in wrong, although hard to do.

I was going to remove the (-) from the battery as precaution for PCM removal and install.
Am I correct in that it's behind the left hand side kick panel in the footwell?

Great! Thanks for that! Of course the one pic I wasn't sure about is the one removed/unable to be found.

Hopefully all goes well tomorrow and I don't turn my car into a sewing machine.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
So how did it go? You get it together ok?

Pushrod may have a '270 deg' head, which would go at the top.

if one end looks to have more radius to it, that is the top. (because the lower only acts up and down, where as the top has a rocker semi rolling over it)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Don't know if you have done this already but when fitting the MACE high ratio rockers you need to change the rocker pedestal base assembly(s) and fit the new ones supplied with the high ratio rockers as the push rod guide slots have been machined to suit.

As this is a complete cast unit for all the rockers on the head so all the rockers will have to be removed first.

I find it easiest to remove all the old rockers and the pedestal unit, fit the new pedestal unit and then fit the first and last rockers as this will then hold the base unit in place, fit the rest of the rockers and do the bolts up finger tight. Once that is done you will quickly see which valves are closed and which are open. Torque down the rocker bolts for all the closed valves (mark or remember those rockers) then turn engine over a little bit until the other rockers close and torque those down. You will need to turn the engine over a few times to get all the rocker bolts torqued properly. Don't forget to put a little lube on the push rod tip and on the rocker push rod cup and tip so nothing is dry on first start-up.

The above guide is for the earlier 3800 V6 (VN-VR) engines and is slightly different to the ecotec.

Last edited: