Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PCV? like EGR?

VRV6BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VR V6 BT1
G'day,

Have been thinking lately about my old VK, it had EGR on it and we disabled the system with balbearings.

I believe that the PCV is much the same principal, are there any advantages from disabling this system on a buick 3800?

Are they're any other little tips or tricks such as this they may be beneficial?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
no advantage at all,it would more than likely cause damage

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
if you block off the PCV system you will more than likely blow out the rear main seal and cause a nasty oil leak as the combustion gas blow-by has no where to go but out the weakest point which is usually the rear main or crankshaft seal

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
you don't want to block it as mentioned already, however you can alter it for better results.

the problem with the PVC system is that it lets oil vapours back into the intake manifold/combustion chambers. simply, this is not good in the long run as it leads to contamination of the spark plugs, fouled valves etc leading to reduced performance from your engine.

the best thing you can do is add a catch can to the PVC system, this will remove the majority of oil present before reaching the intake manifold

VRV6BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VR V6 BT1
Ok sweet, that sounds like what I'm after.
if I was to install a catch can into the PCV line would that decrease the amount of oil in the system?

It doesn't use a drop of oil at the moment.
Also how frequently should I check the catch can system for oil? Weekly, bi weekly, monthly?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
i used a monza catch can that i picked up at supercheap. it's been on there for about 2 months now and there is a small amount of oil in the bottom. i intend to empty it when i do the oil changes. there is however no more oil buildup in my TB

there are some pics in my ride thread (page 5)

Last edited:

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
basicly its there to stop polluting the planted and killing mother earth, its designed so all fumes from the motor get a chance to get burnt and go through the cats before entering atmosphere,
you see alot of motors that use thoughs tiny little air filters on the rocker covers instead of pcv valves, does the same thing just pollutes more and usually leave oil fume stains around it,
or as immortality said use a catch can, catch can would problely be the cleanest option

VRV6BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VR V6 BT1
How much did u pay for the can from supercheap?

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
arent catch cans also illegal?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride