Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pcv vavle

Annette Hepi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ve
Does anyone know where to locate the pcv valve

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Depende which engine by the one on V8 is integral to the LHS rocker cover (it doesn’t have one per sé).

Annette Hepi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden ve
Depende which engine by the one on V8 is integral to the LHS rocker cover (it doesn’t have one per sé).
Ok i have a v6 also do u know what may cause oil getting in to the air intake pipe i was thinking it was the pcv valve but mayb not

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
The PCV is on the driver side at the back on the valve cover, it would bring oil in the intake through the 2 plastic tubes on each side on the manifold.

The breather (that communicates with the airbox) is on the other side, just follow the breather tube.

Usually you'll get a lot more oil from the PCV side but the breather can also reject a little. I personally have almost none on the breather side and installed a catch can on the other. Not sure if a defective PCV valve would produce more oil on the breather side tho.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yes it seems the crankcase breathing on the SIDI is half baked.
So many troubles come from poor air / oil separation (AOS) too.
I’d definitely invest in an upgrade, one that looks purposeful and factory because technically it is emission equipment.
I don’t own one but my understanding is that the RHS bank does not evacuate the foul air like the other side, and that the main device for seperate from oil from air before returning to intake is a not a PCV valve as in non-return valve but a simple restrictor in the exit vent at the back of the valve cover.
Frankly that’s piss poor, and what’s worse of course is that a SIDI will fall over with crap on the valve stems being direct injection and sludge up top begets bad oil everywhere including timing gear. Just compounds really.
So what would be ideal is to open up the exit vent completely, install a proper AOS with an oil return line to sump.
I have looked into this for myself and note Lingenfelter in the US sell a rebranded German Mann-Hummel AOS called ProVent, used by high performance Cadillac and Corvette in the aftermarket. I’d suggest the 200 model, see brochure attached.
Aussie distributor sells on eBay.
Apart from that I don’t think many people put an oil bypass filter (secondary filter) on the V6, but I would, seems fairly critical chink in what is otherwise a brilliant engine that should last longer than it does.

Attachments

• Proventserviceman.pdf
    774.4 KB · Views: 434

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
These definitely will benefit from a proper catch can system as is true for any direct injection style engine but then any engine should really have a proper catch can system installed.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
These definitely will benefit from a proper catch can system as is true for any direct injection style engine but then any engine should really have a proper catch can system installed.
A working factory air oil separator on port injection is no drama in my experience.
Few owners realise that the VE SS had a faulty AOS design (which meant the LHS rocker cover) on Series I was rectified a few months after release of Series II L77, in Feb 2011. So the prevailing internet (US) evidence is that all G8s whether L76 or LS3 needs a dodgy DIY draining catch can to empty the poor stock AOS mess.
However the LS3 has never had the issue, and the L77 was fixed with a recall for early Series II.
Being ethanol port injected, a little bit of upper valve lube doesn’t hurt.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I have a catch can on my sidi and the amount of crap that came out of it is unbelievable.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Been a car bloke I have no problem draining a catch can when servicing my car but I guess many people don't want the extra tasks when looking after their vehicles.

I can understand the conundrum of running ethanol and the lack of lubrication on certain parts. I know on some race engines where lubrication of the valve guide is problematic, especially on the exhaust valve the removal of the valve guide stem seal has been done although probably not a good idea on a daily driver.