Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pedder black shocks or Monroe GT gas on SSSL king springs

evolvd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8
Hey guys and gals,

I have a set of lowered front springs on Pedders black shock shocks and im buying a set of SSSL springs this weekend to drop it a bit more. ive read a lot about not using this low of a spring with stock shocks but i dont know if this is applicable to stock length aftermarket shocks?

I also have a pair of Monroe GT gas shocks (stock length) that i could use.
Question is what would be a better choice between the black pedders or the Monroes? This is front only fyi back is already low enough its just the front im dropping more.
Not really looking to buy new shocks at this stage and im aware Monroe do shortened shocks which are ideal.

Thanks for your advice guys!

lee.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Not 100% certain about the pedders gear, but I thought that their short shocks were red
As you're aware, Monroe do short shocks for lowered springs.....They're the Monroe GT Sport

Last edited:

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hey guys and gals,

I have a set of lowered front springs on Pedders black shock shocks and im buying a set of SSSL springs this weekend to drop it a bit more. ive read a lot about not using this low of a spring with stock shocks but i dont know if this is applicable to stock length aftermarket shocks?

I also have a pair of Monroe GT gas shocks (stock length) that i could use.
Question is what would be a better choice between the black pedders or the Monroes? This is front only fyi back is already low enough its just the front im dropping more.
Not really looking to buy new shocks at this stage and im aware Monroe do shortened shocks which are ideal.

Thanks for your advice guys!

lee.
Standard height means the functionality suited to a standard height spring. In no way is it suitable for what you are wanting as the strut travell is incorect for eg. You will possibly bend and damage more than the strut

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
They will also be far to soft for your springs so the ride will be shocking..

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yep standard shocks are designed to have a large range of travel (less dampening for a given travel) compared to a shortened shock. Shortened shocks are valved differently which means that they provide more dampening along with having a shorter shaft/body. The piston will be sitting in a better position (not at the end of its stroke) with lowered springs and shorter shocks compared to stock shocks.

Going that low adversely affects handling anyway. I think SL is about as far as you go before starting to severely sacrifice handling and comfort.