Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pedders suspension quote, reasonable?

Jimmy2228

Jimmy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Ute 5spd
Hey guys I bought my car a few months ago and the guy I bought it off lowered the car himself, he did not change the shocks (they are original shocks). Its sitting on King Spring superlows on the front and King lows on the rear.
I have noticed squeaking noises from the rear and occasionally rubbing off the back left tyre even with no other people in the car.
I took my car down to Pedders to get the 28 point safety check done and address these issues.

Here is what they found and the cost for parts.
- Very soft front shocks ($300)
- Front Sway bar bushes are split ($75)
- Badly worn Radius Bushes ($40)
- Leaking Rear shocks ($182)
- On the rear, lower bush adjusters fitted incorrectly, nuts missing. ($252)

They have quoted $849 for parts and an extra $660 for labour and $110 for a wheel alignment. Does this sound reasonable? Im getting a second quote from my local mechanic on Friday but was after your guys opinions.

As well as lowering the car himself he told me he installed the IRS himself too. What are your guys opinions on this? Sound reasonable? Can any of this be done cheaper?

Thanks

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Is it just me or does "lower bush incorrect, nuts missing" sound like a dirty joke? ;)

Seriously, don't know about that one, but the other parts look about right. Labour looks a little over the top to put on some new shocks and a couple of bushes. I'd have expected about half that, though I know the front sway bar on the VT was a real pain to do, and you'd pay a lot for that, VS might be similar?

$110 is Ok if they do a proper wheel alignment, and balance all your wheels on the car, but for just a computer alignment that's a rip off.

As always, get a few more quotes, see if you can't beat him down a bit.

Jimmy2228

Jimmy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Ute 5spd
how the hell can you put irs in a live axel car?

I have no idea, but if its not possible i guess it was IRS all along, whichever the case its IRS now.

Is it just me or does "lower bush incorrect, nuts missing" sound like a dirty joke? ;)

Seriously, don't know about that one, but the other parts look about right. Labour looks a little over the top to put on some new shocks and a couple of bushes. I'd have expected about half that, though I know the front sway bar on the VT was a real pain to do, and you'd pay a lot for that, VS might be similar?

$110 is Ok if they do a proper wheel alignment, and balance all your wheels on the car, but for just a computer alignment that's a rip off.

As always, get a few more quotes, see if you can't beat him down a bit.

Yeah I thought the wheel alignment was a bit dodgy, and yeah the labour does seem a lot for the springs and bushes as people do them by themselves but I dont want to screw it up.
Yeah ill gather a few more quotes and try to bargain ;)

Adamvr93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S Pack - 5 speed
I have no idea, but if its not possible i guess it was IRS all along, whichever the case its IRS now.

Yeah I thought the wheel alignment was a bit dodgy, and yeah the labour does seem a lot for the springs and bushes as people do them by themselves but I dont want to screw it up.
Yeah ill gather a few more quotes and try to bargain ;)

Its pretty hard to screw up replacing shocks and a few bushes.. the thing most people screw up is getting parts that dont match.. like wrong springs for the shocks and stuff... maybe you could buy the parts that you need off pedders as they will select the parts properly and then do it yourself.. if you get a gregorys manual it has all the info you will need.. or have you have mates that are pretty mechanically minded get them to give you a hand..
will save alot of money that way..

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It all depends on what you expect your car to be - if you just want to get rid of the squeaks then just get the bit that squeaks fixed up. Remember that Pedders 28 point safety check covers 28 separate points....they will inspect each of those points which represent just about everything in the front and rear suspension and anything that is not in good condition is marked as requiring attention and quoted on. It's like going to the doc with a busted finger and him doing a full body check-up and discovers you've got all these problems that you never noticed before....and possibly don't need to know. But if you want the car 100% safety wise and have peace of mind then as suggested above get a second quote.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Here is what they found and the cost for parts.
- Very soft front shocks ($300)
- Front Sway bar bushes are split ($75)
- Badly worn Radius Bushes ($40)
- Leaking Rear shocks ($182)
- On the rear, lower bush adjusters fitted incorrectly, nuts missing. ($252)

The front shocks could be about right, its normally around $55 to remove and refit a front shock (Per side) so thats $110 gone the other $190 is the cost of the shockers, I would hope though they are throwing in some strut tower bearings though.

Front sway bushes is probably right too, or close enough, depends are they only doing the bushes or the aftermarket link arms as well? it should be about $30 worth of bushes and $50 worth for bushes and link arms.

Radius bushes $40? are they only replacing the ones in the control arm? 99% of places will charge around $400 to do all four radius rod bushes, it's nearly $100 worth of rubber bushes.

Leaking rear shocks for $182 shocks will probably set you back around $150, its a 5 min job so once again, roughly correct, you would be up for allot more if you needed shortened shocks.

I have no idea on the last point.

Oh and is it bushers, or bushes? I can never remember. :p

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
@Dannyboy: The first set of figure (which you quoted) was just parts, labour is on top of that.

Goose!!!

Goose!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 97 acclaim,manual,lsd, Cosmic purple pearl.
yeah, i'd say do it yourself.... only thing you may have trouble with is pressing the bushes out.. Do you have a press? I remember doing my bushes, and i couldn't press them out.... It ended up taking 4 tones of pressure to get the bushes out of the control arm.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
if the lower bush adjusters is just a camber kit, then there is no wrong way to install them.. they have a metal cylinder in the centre of the bushes which adjust camber/caster..

i would be getting a second quote some figures are too high. some of its pretty easy to do yourself

easy way to remove original bushes, drill into them a few times and they should almost slide out :p