Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

peeps VR Executive station wagon

Discussion in 'VR - VS' started by P plater, May 25, 2016.

1. P plater

P plater the immortal misguided one

Members Ride:
    1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
    Hey guys and girls I am a owner of a VR Executive wagon, I got it as part of a deal involving a purchase of a donor vehicle for the falcon, I hope to take delivery of it by the end of the month
    Engine: 3.8 Buick V6
    Transmission: 4 speed auto
    Kilometres 341,000 (all country kilometres)
    Factory options: ABS, and driver's air bag
    Colour: dark green metallic
    Plans: replacement oil switch, nice stereo and leave it alone
    Only problem is that it keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse when key turned to start, otherwise did run well before last owner replaced the crank angle sensor
    Pics and more information will follow over the next few weeks

2. P plater

Members Ride:
    Hey guys and girls, update time, I got some pictures of the commy, hope you like them, also found that it was some old alarm wiring shorting out was the cause of the fuel pump fuse blowing, I hope to have it out on the road again by the end of the month, I want to check out the brakes/steering/suspension systems so I know that I am going to be safe
    [​IMG][/URL] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][/IMG]

3. Adelaidetradie86

Adelaidetradie86 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Ute Series 2
    Looks like its been around the block a few times. You got plans to clean the old girl up? Could be a trust ride with some tlc

4. P plater

Members Ride:
    Yeah that's my plan, just give it a tidy up and probably put some statesman interior and electric parts, then leave it alone and use as the daily while I do major work to my falcon

5. Adelaidetradie86

Members Ride:
    VS Ute Series 2
    Wouldn t be driving it much before you clean up the exterior. Coppers will be on you in a flash. Guessing by you id your still on your p's. You should be able to find a rear tailgate same colour at the wreckers pretty cheap

6. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    Will they???? Strangely enough I've been driving my VC Commodore around P platers area, for 12 months, with the rear all stoved in...I live 2 surburbs south of P plater and have family and friends 2 surburbs north of him...The 2 surburbs North of P plater are a coppers haven....ie they are thick in those areas and love pulling people over.... I have only been pulled over once in that 12 months by the coppers, because a brake light was out.....They put it down to the accident, so they sent me on my merry way, with a big smile (and no pieces of paper or stickers).....

7. Adelaidetradie86

Members Ride:
    VS Ute Series 2
    Things must of changed abit since my days with a p plate on. Had a vt exec when vx's were nearing the end of their run with some 17's on it and cleab as whistle and used to get pulled over weekly. Maybe its different in the hills

8. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    Elizabeth/Salisbury/Davoren Park/Smithfield areas are a "low" social economic area, where a fair bit of crime occurs and a lot of "dungers" are located....So the police reguarly patrol these areas, pulling over these "dungers" and doing car searches for illegal goods.

P Platers commodore looks fairly respectible from the pictures and providing he drives sensibly, there is a good chance the police won't look twice at it. If he is pulled over and his deminer is pleasent, again, they will probably do a licence check, alcohol and possible drug test and send him on his merry way.

Just for the record, I'm not insinuating P plater is any sort of criminal or involved in any sort of criminal activity, nor is he part of the low social economic stigma associated with these areas. Just pointing out that his car isn't the sort that would draw attention by driving sensibily

9. Commo Baba

Commo Baba Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX II Acclaim Wagon.
    My2cents worth.

Get it out of the mud and get it to go.

Which Falcon were you up to ? I lost track.

Just choose one car and get it going right. Then you can get it to look good etc without having to split your money between two cars.

10. P plater

Members Ride:
    Yeah that's my intention, get it out of the mud, give it a really good clean and service and drive it around while I repair the foulcan, and once the falcon is ready again take the commodore of the road and give that one some proper love as in a full statesman dash conversion and front seats, door trims and front clip

11. s_ikari2015

s_ikari2015 Fun IS easier with an 8

Members Ride:
    '02 Monaro V2 CV8, '83 Subaru Sherpa, '87 Sherpa
    Sounds like a good plan, use the VR until the Falcon is fixed up and reliable, then start the projects on the VR. It's a good car to learn about Holdens on, pretty easy to work on, reliable engine, easy to find parts and as a wagon very useful for all sorts of things.

Plus you finally have a Commodore and can justify being on JC.

LOL

12. P plater

Members Ride:
    Update time again, I got the beast out of the mud and to my mums place under cover, and had a little slip up, previously I had disconnected the plug on top of the alternator, and in my hurry of getting the car back to my mums place I forgot to reconnect that plug, and so I had no charging of the battery, so in Roseworthy I turned of the car and was wondering why the hell it won't start, when the RAA came the patrol man saw the plug disconnected and plugged it back on and gave it a jump start, lesson learnt there I have cooked up a list of to do before it goes on the road again

New tyres
    Major service
    Check and replace tie rods
    Balance and align wheels
    Check adjust handbrake
    New taillights
    Repair the wiring to RH. Head light
    Coolant flush and fresh coolant and new thermostat
    New wipers
    Inspect rear wiper motor and drive- found out no wiper motor exists
    Put badges back on
    See where power steering is leaking from- leaking from the low pressure line back to the resiviour

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  13. P plater

Members Ride:
    Hey guys and girls, update time again, I played around a bit with the VR and found the potential cause of the fuel pump fuse blowing,
    The insulation on the wiring to the oil pressure sender cracked open and had bare wires showing, also water and power steering fluid was in the outer sleeve and further encouraged the problem, I am fitting the new one this afternoon hopefully, I also did a compression test and all but one cylinder had 1200 KPA on the dry test, the other one was 1150 KPA so that is really good for a 350,000 kilometres old Buick

14. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    good luck with it mate...............

15. P plater

Members Ride:
    Thanks mate, it means heaps, and my hypothesis proved correct, it is no longer blowing the fuse, just have this wire that's spinning me out, it is pink with a red trace, it came from the area around the power steering pump, any ideas as to what this wire is for?

16. stockies

stockies Bannana

Members Ride:
    G6E Turbo
    Fuel pump fuse - Get under it and inspect the wiring to the fuel pump in the tank. My VN did this for weeks, and it turned out that during all the dud pumps and tank swaps I'd bent the wire and it kept (Occasionally) rubbing onto the chassis and blowing the fuse. (20 amp one under the bonnet) - Took me over a week to find the issue and over 50 fuses too.

Your Pink/Red wire may be from memory for the coolant temp sender.

17. P plater

Members Ride:
    Hey stockies,thanks for the tips,the wiring wasn't damaged,in fact it looks like someone put an extra sheath over the wiring to further protect it, also there home of that Wire was the knock sensor, probably explains why it didn't keep running,

18. P plater

Members Ride:
    Update time, not much has been happening with the VR, other than pulling out the dash and body harness, also found someone selling some VS SS mags for $60 for the set with rooted tyres, also will get hold of a Statesman body harness and BCM and key head, and will probably stop being lazy and do the plugs and leads

19. P plater

Members Ride:
    Update time again, nothing much has been happening on the VR, other than pulling out the radiator and checking it over and giving it a reverse flush, but I have a slowly growing collection of Statesman and Berlina parts including a dash mat for a statesman, a Calais BCM and matching key head, VQ Caprice door cards a level 3 cluster and a statesman cluster surround, hopefully this week I will be able to get a statesman dashboard wiring harness and main body harness off a VR Calais

20. Adelaidetradie86

Members Ride:
    VS Ute Series 2
    Hey buddie. Ill soon be parting out my silver VS Acclaim. Im keeping front bumper rims and engine but most other things will probably up for grabs. There is front pedders springs on good condition shocks on it. Let me know what things your after. Front seats would come up ok with a shampoo. I ll see pretty cheap as dont have heaps of room to store things

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Thats it there