Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performace oil

sv6 power

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I have never heard about amsoil either... is it that good as you say it is? I got the mobil 1 because i was told by many people that it can push to around 17,000-20,000km if just for normal use and i wanted to see if thats true. But on the other hand you wouldn't want to leave oil in there for that long...

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I have never heard about amsoil either... is it that good as you say it is? I got the mobil 1 because i was told by many people that it can push to around 17,000-20,000km if just for normal use and i wanted to see if thats true. But on the other hand you wouldn't want to leave oil in there for that long...

I wouldn't be testing that out, mate. The oil may be up to it, but the filter won't be. Mine gets swapped out every 7,500km - in other words, at scheduled services and at the half-way point. Day to day driving on a standard car, something like Edge will be fine - if you're running mods and putting the car under higher-than-average stress levels, I'd be spending a bit more on a group IV as suggested. AMSOIL is quite hard to locate around Sydney, I've found. You can pick Royal Purple up at any Autobarn.

As suggested, the most important thing, regardless of which oil you're using, is to keep it changed regularly, with a good filter. RP Filters are very good, as are K&N oil filters - but if your car is still under warranty, then run with the genuine filter. It's about the only thing that isn't hugely over-priced from Holden Spares!

sv6 power

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I agree with you, i didn't say i was going to try and get 20k km's out of it, just chit chatting to see if anyone knows more on the topic. Yes, its still got 1 year warranty, so ill go with the holden stuff. When i said i wanted to see if thats true i meant trying to find out from all of you if you know something about that.

Thanks for the info.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim

I cant vouch for it myself as I have never used it but if you look it up, it pretty much beats everything else in tests.

Ill put up some links.

These tests were done by COME racing
Oils Against Oils - Major Oil Brands go head-to-head on the dyno.
AMSOIL come out #1 and Royal Purple was #7

This page and this site has a ton of info about it
AMSOIL Dealer Synthetic Oil Change! Amzoil-Best synthetic oil! Some say Emsoil, Amsiol, Amsol Get an Amsoil packet

Royal Purple vs AMSOIL
Royal Purple vs AMSOIL

And the AMSOIL website has lots of info on it too
AMSOIL - Synthetic Oil, Motor and Engine Oil, Lubricants, Air Filters, Oil Filters and Greases

All tests I have see shows it to be better in every way than any other oil its compared with, although I have never tried it I would if it wasn't for the price tag. Then again if I'm feeling rich next time I do a oil change I might give it a go.

sv6 power

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Great, thanks! All company's write that their oils are the best, but an extra reason why i chose mobil 1 was cause the v8 supercars use it and recommend it, so i was like WTH, lets try it :)
$92 for 5L 5w30 is expensive but lets see how it goes in the engine :)

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
One word of advice buy royal purple from them directly, i saved myself about 40 bucks buying directly and thats including freight, if i lived closer to there main shop would have saved even more