Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performance Brake Upgrade

craigsmonaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8 Series III
So I did a track day the other day and have finally decided to upgrade the brakes on my '04 Monaro - the stock ones are crap (as most of you would probably know), they really struggle to pull up the car quickly. Any recommendations on what to get? I know Holmart usually has some good deals on brake kits, but want to have a look at all my options. Also has anyone purchased any kits from America? Given the dollar atm it might be a cheap option if I can find a compatable kit...

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
What pads, rotors, and most importantly fluid were you running?

Brake 'upgrades' are very overrated in most cases. Evo 4-9 rally cars that weight 1500kg with 550nm and brutal acceleration don't struggle with 276x24mm front rotors with twin piston calipers when using correct consumables. There's no reason at all that a 1600kg car with less approach speed and 296x28mm front rotors on fairly similar twin piston calipers should struggle when used for a bit of weekend track work. Commodores have bigger issues to deal with on the track than brakes, like the fluid filled radius rod bushes that change the alignment dramatically to start with...

On a budget I'd grab the VE caliper kit with 322x30mm rotors and don't worry about spending stupid money on brakes unless you're doing regular track work on some very stick race rubber.