Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

performance chip for VX?

plasmid2

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am aware that performance chips exist for VT commodores. However, I have been unable to find anyone who sells performance chips for VX V6 commodores. Do they exist? Or is this a totally stupid question?

Thanks.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Performance chips are certainly available but the place I have seen them I wouldn't recommend if my life depended on it.

From what I can gather they are the same ECU used in the VX as they do in the VY.

D

DonVXV6

The only place I have seen the chips are PowerChip in Melbourne.

I've been told between 10-15kw. BUT i've also been told that Ecotech V6 Ebgines are tuned to their utmost so you can't get much more out of tuning them.

I am getting 1.9:1 Roller Rockers next week, should make about 16rwhp extra :)

Don (175.6hp@112km/h)

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
PowerChip Australia is that place I would not recommend to my worst enemy. All it seems to have done is use a lot more petrol and run rich despite them saying they change nothing in the fuel side of things.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
yeah what darren said,
the VX V6 is very well tuned from std but there are some gains to be had, i know someone who is currently working on hacking the code for them..... stay tuned.lol

Rob

S

seconds.away

The V6 is not factory tuned to optimum, the Holden engineers / designers detune the motors to allow for the varying grades and quality of fuels used here in Oz. A performance chip re-tunes the engine for max performance, but will only deliver benefits if high octane fuel is used (i.e. premium unleaded, etc.).

dsvtss

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that when the series 2 Vt came out, they changedboth V8's and V6's from the memcals that had been used previously. So instead of just buying a chip and pluging it in, you have to get the actual chip reprogrammed. Now this is definantly true for the gen3, but i'm farily certain it is the same for the v6. This would explain why you havn't seen any performance chips for vx's

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
All VTV6 & holden V8 use a Memcal, LS1 is flash programmed
from VX the V6 got a flash version of the earlier PCM, yes this explains why you dont see VX chips for sale.
All V6 SC still use a Memcal

Rob

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
Darren said:
PowerChip Australia is that place I would not recommend to my worst enemy. All it seems to have done is use a lot more petrol and run rich despite them saying they change nothing in the fuel side of things.

the chip can't really do anything else other than alter the ignition timing. dumping fuel in is exactly what it does from what i understand, that's why you see V8 supercars with black smoke coming out the exhaust a lot - this makes power. running stoichiometric is great for the environment but that's about it.