Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

performance chips, paint?

AgE_vs

May 24, 2009
Reaction score
Members Ride
v6 vt berlina supercharged
hi yall, ive got a stage 4 performance chip in my ecu and another in the air flow meter should i have them both in? i also wanna get a paint job my vs is currently white im thinkin i want it black does any1 kno roughly how much it mite cost me? or even 4 a white respray?

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
out of interest, what "chip" is it you have installed in the AFM? I hope for your sake it wasnt one of those $20 ebay "chips"! And what stage 4 chip have you got in the ecu?

Umm closed door respray in same colour will set you back around $3500 - $4K from a decent shop, a bit more if you were to change colour ie more places to paint...

hope this helps

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Where the HELL is "stage four". That's what I want to know :p rofl

May I kindly suggest that OP throws out these "chips"?

AgE_vs

May 24, 2009
Reaction score
Members Ride
v6 vt berlina supercharged
yes the chips were brought off ebay, i got told they were the way to go? not sure which stage performance chip in my ecu is call just ses stage 4 perfomance? what should i do? whats op? i have **** all knowlage about cars

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
OP is Original Poster. Being, you.

Performance Chips on the whole arent usually the way to go to seek reliable performance. Cars pulling big numbers, or even cars just running sensible street figures dont do this with chips from ebay.

The best place to start modifying a car is to have a look at where you want to go with the car and work from there. Just slapping a chip from ebay that says "Stage 4" on it isnt a good way to do it. What is stage 4? So many companies use "Stages" as a way to teir their products, but what scale are they basing it against.

Oh, and chips off ebay have been covered a few times here and the general consensus is to steer clear.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
**** he put his prices up LOL greenfoam does em for $50 and postage and are way better hehe

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Lol!:bang: he says that in his own add?

WARNING:

When making the decision to purchase performance chip for your car we recommend that you carefully consider your options. We recommend that you be wary of:

The mod chip – this is simply a cheaply priced, small resistor fitted to a temperature sensor in order to trick the system into thinking that it has a lower? Engine temperature than it really does. In turn the engine management system makes adjustments to the fuel system accordingly. In most cases this adjustment is to richen the system or to lean it. This is a cheap and nasty shortcut, it does not work correctly and is dangerous to your engine. Buyers should not trust any modification that tricks the engine management system rather than programming the parameters correctly.

The eprom – these are cheap IC units that are available in any hobby store. An eprom is recognisable as it comes without a carrier or a cover and needs to be re-soldered into your standard chip. They are reflashed using mostly copied programs that are freely available to download from the internet. In most cases these are copied programs that are generic to a wide range of models rather then being specifically programmed to suit a particular model. As one chip does not suit a wide range of models but must be programmed specifically according to the model, we recommend that buyers again be careful if planning to make such a purchase. If a seller is selling many eproms for many different makes/models then you can be fairly certain these are the copied programs to which we are referring. The cost and difficulty of de-soldering your current eprom and ther re-soldering the new eprom will usually end up costing more than to simply buy a custom performance chip and plug it in. One must also consider that the risk of damage to your car's computer by installing the eprom is very high. Buyers will naturally find that the stated power gains will not be achieved. In short, buyers will get what they pay for - very little or even worse, costly repair bills down the track.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I was going to talk about Blackstar but I suddenly felt sleepy from the bordem of it all :)?