Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performance coil pack for vn

Sladdo

Resident Ford mechanic
Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VT V6 5sp Exec.
I thought the difference between say MSD coil packs & standard ones was that they gave stronger spark at higher rpm? Saying that if your coil packs were tired & you replaced them the car would go better anyway one would yhink.

I got three new ones from Holden for i think around $40 each.

Greedy

Greedy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Areo
I think its a replica. Some parts dont make sence to be a genuine. And a local tuner says the eprom has no indetication to it being a real hsv 3800 tune but yet goes like it has one. And sladdo your right the msd do have higher voltage spark in the higher rev range. But as far as the coils go for stock vn s1 to vn S2 the later model coils have a higher voltage spark.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
I think its a replica. Some parts dont make sence to be a genuine. And a local tuner says the eprom has no indetication to it being a real hsv 3800 tune but yet goes like it has one. And sladdo your right the msd do have higher voltage spark in the higher rev range. But as far as the coils go for stock vn s1 to vn S2 the later model coils have a higher voltage spark.

maybe it's just a stock memcal with a sv3800 (or other) tune on it.

VNCalais3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V6 S1, VP Executive V8 Wagon
I just brought the champion coils from repco paid $58 each for them even after seeing the ones on e-bay for $40. I just replaced the plugs to platinum and leads to high performance and the champion coils, any ideas as it now backfires and run's really rough. VN CALAIS S1 V6

Greedy

Greedy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Areo
Re: coils

I just brought the champion coils from repco paid $58 each for them even after seeing the ones on e-bay for $40. I just replaced the plugs to platinum and leads to high performance and the champion coils, any ideas as it now backfires and run's really rough. VN CALAIS S1 V6

Do you live in qld? Just check to see if the insulators are over the sparkplugs. Check the spark plugs just because they are new does not mean that they are good. And test your leads for resistance they should all be around the same if one is no way near the others its stuffed or defected from factory.

just pm me if you need more help