Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performance LS1 engine rebuild advice

Craig Facey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
Alright people... Hit us all up with your advice... Let's say you want to do a stroker kit with turbo and all the works (we all know ported heads and ARP etc but let's here specific cam angle recommendations etc) ... What do people recommend and most importantly what do people warn against?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
U probably wanna be a bit more specific mate like what your car is gonna be used for? Gearbox diff? Etc are you chasing maximum horsepower? How much are you willing to spend

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Even a basic setup is not all that cheap once you add tuning,small stuff & then suitable driveline

lsironblocks.com.au 5.3 iron block (either buy complete long block or short block swap your parts over)
228/230 trunion upgrade & pac springs
killaboost budget manifold
gt42

Basic guide on sloppy mechanics channel

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
probably cheaper to ditch the LS1 and whack in an LSA

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Based purely on what I have read the problem with these LS engines is they don't lend them selves to rebores. Not like the iron blocks of old where you could get a brand new surface by reboring 10 20 30 thou or so and refitting new oversize pistons. You may find the bores in a well used LS engine may be oval or have wear in the liners. I think from what I have read you can only give then a hone and hope they clean up ok, I think to replace the liners is very expensive. Like mentioned above might be cheaper to wack in a new crate motor, maybe an LSA. I might be wrong and willing to be corrected as some day I might be in the same boat when my LS1 decides to retire.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yep biggest issue with alloy blocks is the iron bores, if ur n/a u can get away with a little but boost u want as much as u can keep there and even the the added cylinder pressure from boost can over time dislodge the alloy from the cylinder bores, all this is why im going an iron block on the build im doing now no point buying expensive parts if the block cant hold them in reliably

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7 wh statesman
crank is prob ok, why go stroker just better rods and pistons if turbo, your going to have to spend big bucks on trans ,diff . are you willing to spend $60,000 cause that's what it would cost , iff you got someone to do the work -$100 hr ,114 lc cam -turbo

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Rule of thumb is dont waste time with the 5.7. Get a 6 or 6.2 and go from there.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If you have unlimited funds, rebuild an ls of your choice. If funds are limited, just turbo a stock ls1. They handle it well provided they’re tuned well and you don’t push the friendship in terms of boost.