Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performance memcal

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Like I said the dodgy tuners advance timing to provide extra poke. But its not a good thing as you need retard in higher revs. A few $ saving might be ok at the time but like above when it damages your engine then the savings are wasted.

The one

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp ss
Getting of the topic what do use reckon full engine rebuild 400 + horse power or supercharge it harrop or yt or used side mounted one

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Yeah let me know how it goes would be interested also there's someone doing vn vp v6 v8 tunes for 110 out right or 70 exchange anyone anything about them
The MACE memcal was a tight fit in the VQ aluminum ECU case, note pin alignment is critical- the two pin sockets at either end of the MACE card don't exist in the stock chip.
First impressions from a short run down the Tulla are more power and a fair improvement in the fuel usage at 80-100 km/h- according to the instantaneous fuel usage gauge. I'll know more when I can take it for a long run.

The one

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp ss
Yeah let me know if it's worth it or not and maybe you should consider about buying a mace cai or making one someone said they noticed more gains with it

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Got the trip computer fixed and the dashboard back in so I had a chance to try the MACE memcal this morning. Made a noticeable difference with power in top gear with the fuel consumption unchanged according to the L/100km meter.
I'd recommend it as an easy upgrade. The only other mods I've made to the engine are a 21/2 Bushranger cat back exhaust, iridium plugs and advanced the timing a few degrees.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Advancing timing is generally not a good idea. Some clowns do that with eBay V6 memcals to give the illusion of increased HP, but it can create pinging at higher revs.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Advancing timing is generally not a good idea. Some clowns do that with eBay V6 memcals to give the illusion of increased HP, but it can create pinging at higher revs.

Reminds me of the old TRX100 chips that circulated eBay for the better part of a decade.

Had so much timing you'd grenade your motor on a WOT pull.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Got the trip computer fixed and the dashboard back in so I had a chance to try the MACE memcal this morning. Made a noticeable difference with power in top gear with the fuel consumption unchanged according to the L/100km meter.
I'd recommend it as an easy upgrade. The only other mods I've made to the engine are a 21/2 Bushranger cat back exhaust, iridium plugs and advanced the timing a few degrees.
The timing advance was put in by me on the distributor. I've always done it as I believe the manufacturers ex factory timing is always conservative to protect their engines. With older , non ECU, engines I normally advance the timing until I get light pinging on WOT then back off a bit and make sure the WOT pinging's gone.
But, to be honest, I don't know if a few degrees advance on the distributor will affect the timing setting on the actual spark after the ECU.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes it will.

Stock 304 timing map is fairly lame. Poor man's tune is to advance the dizzy 4 degrees and run good fuel. My Senator was happy enough on the HSV tune with the dizzy advanced 2 degrees (I never got around to burning a decent tune for it).