Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performance memcal

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Yes it will.

Stock 304 timing map is fairly lame. Poor man's tune is to advance the dizzy 4 degrees and run good fuel. My Senator was happy enough on the HSV tune with the dizzy advanced 2 degrees (I never got around to burning a decent tune for it).
I'm running 2 degrees additional advance- simply because I'd expect GMH would have built at least that margin of safety into their advance curve. It's a case of old habits die hard- I've been creeping the ignition advance to just under the WOT low revs pinging level since the 1960's. It gets the stock engine closer to what it's really capable of.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Stock 304 has 25° total at WOT, the HSV tune has 27° at WOT. I did a tune for a VR 304 with exhaust and CAI with 28° and some more fuel and the owner was impressed with the improvement over the stock tune. They can also handle more timing down low, they really are detuned in stock form.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Thanks, those parameters you've successfully used are very comforting to know.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah was common trick back in day...limp mode then advance base timing 2-4 degrees but was mainly done on cars without knock sensors.

The factory v8 tunes were lazy as hell....the buick tunes from factory were shocking with so many updates/recalls they were never fixed properly.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Just filled up again at the local BP. I reckon I'm getting 10% better fuel consumption plus noticeable extra power on the country around roads where I live. Just by the way this chip optimized the conservative GMH engine operating parameters on their V8.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I fill up with 95 and i reckon with the Mace tune i get around 10% extra mileage with this combo on my Buick V6.

The one

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp ss
Yeah I just ordered the mace cai ebay has a 10 percent special on next is the tune

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Decent set of Pacemakers, Mace CAI and good tune and the old 304 will come to life a fair bit more.