Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Performance mods for a VX 3.8 V6

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Even the Raptor uses the stock serpentine belt but those are limited to how much power you can make. Not seeing much from them on the V6 stuff anymore. Nice little blower though if you aren't looking for huge power. I have one sitting on the shelf still waiting to be used.
Not a Buick S2 one is it, and would you be willing to part with it?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It is to suit the 3800 V6 motor. Not sure, it's as new, it's been fitted on a motor but not been run.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Interested in selling? Also is the manifold off a Buick or Eco?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It was all set up on a VN.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have a think and PM if you're interested. I'm out this year though. Heads are going in for upgrade in the next few weeks.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
That's not somewhere I'd be worried about unless you went with something like a procharger that puts an extra pulley on in front of the OEM balancer. The stock balancers are a good fit and with a proper key unlike the LS engines.

Even the Raptor uses the stock serpentine belt but those are limited to how much power you can make. Not seeing much from them on the V6 stuff anymore. Nice little blower though if you aren't looking for huge power. I have one sitting on the shelf still waiting to be used.

Any super charger is going to rob 20hp+ thats like 14kw That's like 1200amps of alternators on full load constantly. Any supercharger is going to add extra load onto the front bearing. Gale Banks covers this in one of his videos about some of his upgrades on duramax engines for the army.

This is why SBC have timing covers with snout braces for blowen SBC's.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
what are the advantages of a centrifugal over a screw and vice versa?

Screw will heat the intake charge more and that is nearly impossible to counteract 100%. Screws will be very efficent over a blower style and even a centrifugal when the screw is modern deainged. But the centrifugal will hit higher boost and make more power.

I suggest you watch videos from Richard Holdner on YT as he has comparison data that shows you the power curves. There is no clear winner it's more what you're trying to achive. But Centrifugals are by far the cheapest to setup as you can keep the stock exhaust.

Again Richard Holdner has testing evidence that proves superchargers work with stock exhaust manifolds.
Once you watch enough of his content you realise that you should pick a good N/A setup that younlike then just add boost.... And like I said rhe cheapest boost is a centrifugal charger.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stock exhaust is going to hold back power. Stock exhaust is good for a stock motor. On a VX at a minimum I would upgrade to a full twin V8 system if you want to make decent power. First upgrade I did on our L67 and it really let it rev better and not choke the motor.

If you are talking about the same guy on youtube I checked out recently he had some interesting and dissapointing results with a L67. The tests I saw weren't very representative of what the L67 can achieve but I think he did mention they had tuning issues.

Last edited: