Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

performance needed??

vylover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Manual Ute
Car:VS Manual T5 UTE
Current Mod's: 2.5"cat back,cat's punched out,K&N Panel Filter,9mm Leads,NGK plug's and that's it!

opponent car:BA xr6 ute manual
Mod's: 2.5" cat back and thats it

I have booked a race at the drags (where it is safe and legal and controlled!!) on the 25th of january and need to get the pony's back out of my car!

I have a budget (and please don't laugh) of only $1000-1400 and I would love to know what you guys suggest please!

I have been tossing up getting a cam and rocker's and tune and installed by a mechanic$$$ or get a lot of bolt on stuff that I can do by myself??

Any help at all is appreciated !! thanks again :)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Diff gears are probably the best place to start. After that, for the money most mods aren't worth it. The high ratio roller rockers might be worth a try though.

Btw, cat punched out? Why?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
for $1400 u should be able to get a v8 conversion done if you do it yourself.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
pppppffft! old fords are faster than oldHens :D...... 1400 bucks should get you a good entry level NOS system, or cheaper if you go 2nd hand and some $$ left over for a new motor should it all go pair shaped :) best bang for buck when doing short blacktop runs

vylover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Manual Ute
i think i'll need a whole new LSD as i have a open centre :( and cat's punched out was not my choice but i do like it lol... more flow and i love the crackle :) check my youtube video.. you need to look at my thread on the actual car to find the link :) just a easy way to get the thread active again :) bit slow recently :(

and as for v8 conversion..... as lame as it sounds :( my mum won't let me :( I'm already to tempted to put that v6 through its paces so if i get v8... rip me or the ute! :/

and i don't want nos because it will be a daily as well as I'm a p plater :( i know cams would be illegal for me but ill take the risk if its a good bang for buck item... and the cam is hidden and its harder to prove i have a cam because its not in the tray :p

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Actually, if the cat is punched out you will have reduced flow due to a massive loss of exhaust velocity through the cat body.

If you want to try and beat a straight 6 ford on that budget you have two options:

1. Diff gears
2. Bag of sugar

Sugar goes in the tank and you're sure to beat him.

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
Have a look at some of the mace products on their website.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
As replied in your other thread spend the money on gaining what you've lost, with $1000 you'll gain nothing noticable with mods a cam n chip package uninstalled is like $600 then I'd guess around another $500-$600 installed? Trust me bring the horses back to the pen which have gotten away ( you'll also have a reliable ride when your done!) any left over new crown wheel n pinion with a better ratio!