Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performance Upgrades......Your thoughts?

SteveHatz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
First of all, I still have 3 and a half years of P plates still....so an 8 is not an option :(
I drive an 08 Omega

My plan is as follows:

- CPR6 Manifold & Mace Manifold Insulators
- Russo OTR CAI
- Exhaust (pacemaker headers/hi flow cats/ and a varex muffler or something similar so i can quieten down when need be as not to attract attention from the cops
- Performance Tune

I know this would make my car illegal, but these mods are visually very low key so I'm hoping cops wont notice

Any thoughts, disagreements, opinions, experiences would be greatly appreciated....

webwombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SS-V wagon
what are the restrictions on your "P" plates for car mods? I dont know much about the Victorian rules and regs

Do they go by power to weight ratio or just by amount of Kw?

mattgreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
i wouldnt evan bother mate? id sell the omega and buy a sv6 or s pack, dont bother with performance mods because there is not much to gain just save your pennys and wait the 3 years then buy a v8,

SteveHatz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
i don't think engines can be modified at all.....got this off vicroads website...
" vehicle that:

* has an engine with eight cylinders or more, or
* has an engine that is turbocharged or supercharged (except diesel vehicles or those listed in Table 1 below). There are also some lower powered turbocharged or supercharged vehicles which have been exempted and can be operated by a probationary driver who has been given an exemption by VicRoads. Refer to lower performance turbocharged or supercharged vehicles and exemptions.
* has an engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle's performance (other than a modification made by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle, or
* a nominated high performance six cylinder engine. Refer to Table 2 below."

But not worried about that too much

SteveHatz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
as for saving up for the 8.....me and my old man are going to rebuild a HQ Monaro in the near future, should be ready by the time I'm off my P's, otherwise i would have waited as you suggested :)

mattgreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
its a v6 commodore. theres no way you will get any power out of it unless its supercharged or turbod. and to do that properly your looking at over 10k
theres just no point
plus is an omega. there ugly as hell and have no features.
if anything put some money into the looks ie ss kit. rims lowered and be done with it

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
The mods you've mentioned will give it a bit more kick. (Trying to remember now if the pre Sidi omegas were a 3.6 or a 3.0). I'm fairly certain they're a 3.6 so you shouldn't have too many dramas getting that work done. The thing with modifying the V6s is the $/kW ratio goes through the roof - which is a big reason why V8s are the weapon of choice for most people interested in performance modifications. You'll get gains - and noticeable ones - but they'll cost you. Not really worth it in my book, but not going to try and talk you out of it! There are a few people in Sydney who have got some good results with the V6 and more work is being done on them all the time.

To be honest, I'd be inclined to put the financial focus in getting the most out of the grip of the car - ie a really good suspension set up, nice fat sway bars, etc. Won't make the car accelerate any quicker - but will certainly let you carry more pace through the twisties.

SteveHatz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
already have rims, lowered, ssv tail lights

do want to do the body kit, but was gonna do it after the exhaust etc

SteveHatz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
yeh thanks tins, didnt get sway bars but i did get Boge turbo shocks and king springs, coilovers were just to expensive....they came in the mail yesterday and are going in tomorrow, so ill see how it takes corners after that

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I've got a slightly done up SV6 and LOVE IT, its got nothing on a V8, but ive made it sound and look great for what it is without much coin. Performance wise I've done CAI, exhaust and extractors, planning mace spacers and a tune and thats it. It's got 20's, suspension soon and some other slight exterior mods like lights and grill soon.

It's my daily so dont want a V8 and with my mods it achieves amazing full economy. I average 7.5-8l around town, 6l freeway driving and I get around 5.5l doing around 80km on the princess.

Being an omega I'd either try get a SV6 or source cheap body kit, and honestly wouldn't bother about a CPR6 manifold. Don't worry about an OTR as the tune isn't out for ur car most likely anyway, airhammer or another pipe type CAI yields better results. Depends on the year though. I've seen done up omega's and they look ok, but stock bodykit looks really strange.

Mace spacers are good lowdown power, hence less fuel and useful in hot weather.