Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

performance?

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
thats a fairly good deal there mate if u can pick it up for that. should have a bit of poke with that engine.

only things will be, pending the specs on your cam youll need a stally to suit, and if u get a half smart cop, he will notice the idle because of the cam.

and the fact that youl NEED an exhaust system to run with that engine, you can jam it full of mufflers to quiten it down, but then ull loose performance ;).

your best bet, would be to just stick to basic things, service the car, fit a high flow air filter and a CAI, put some sports leads on it, new plugs, new fuel filter, perhaps some yella terra rockers, and some 3.7 diff gears. all up that should cost you around the 2,400ish mark. and have plenty of poke for a 16 year old.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
a cop will probably notice that the engine is not stock. it's not hard to tell :p. it is illegal and you probably will end up getting caught and you'll be required to take the engine out. you'll get about $500 for it. and there will be no point in keeping it, because, you'll probably only get about the same performance out of it as a stock 304 (not fast). you will get over it very quickly, and you'll also miss your 5k. if you want speed... just wait... you'll be 21 in no time, then go out and get yourself a 304 and supercharge the **** out of it. will have three times as much power as that 5k combo, and you can get the complete supercharger kit for 6k. much better way to spend your money!

Last edited:

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
*waits for foamy's suggestion*

I say go for it, i would actually like to see someone do a quickish v6, nice lumpy came like a wade 1114a, shiftkitted and hi stalled auto :D (dont know how quick that would be?) lol

sydd131

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Calais
--

i might just jump into it and go for that 4 and a half grand engine, if i do get caught by cops for it, i'll just say sorry mate, thought it was stock, baught it second hand. then i'll drive my dads vx, and over time do the vn up a bit more, i'd be happy with a supercharged 6, so im not fussed if the cops do pull me up. they can suck my left nut :p

Attachments

• 22042009(005).jpg
    22042009(005).jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 406
  • 22042009(007).jpg
    22042009(007).jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 133

sydd131

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Calais
okay well i'll clear myself up a bit, explain in full. if i get this engine:

Reco Stage 3 Engine
New ACL pistons
Moly rings
Holden Head gaskets
ACL bearings
Rollmaster timing set
SRE oil pump mod's
SRE Hyd Roller cam
Specs vary with each Car Call..........
Ported VN /VR Style
165 KW Heads
New Crow Performance Valve Springs,New Chrome Moly Retainers ,
Valve Stem Seals
New Kline Bronze Valve Guides (honed)
Block fully machined
Bored 030 / 040
New cam Bearings
New Welsh plugs
Yella Terra roller rockers
Crow Pushrods .080
Etc
Fully assembled Long

AND THENN. spend some MORE F*CKIN MONEY >.< on a manual gear box, im estimating around 6-7k. now all i want it to do for te next 6 years (till i get my full license as i needa hold license till im 22) is leave all the other p platers for **** :) and then when im 22, i'll figure out what to do wth it after that. but for that engine to function well, will i need anything else for it? should i get lsd? and yeah, i might miss that $5,000. untill 5 months later when i got another 10 sitting in the bank, i got 4k coming in every 3 months, so im pretty set for cash. however i will be pissed if i end up blowing up that $4600 6cyl engine. so anything to avoid blowing it up, and to make it go harder, and to make it less noticable, but keep performance, is what i want. (yeah im a picky bastard :D)

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
is leave all the other p platers for **** :)

what you should do is get an exel if your gonna drive like that give p platers a bad name and commodore drives:bang:

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
if i do get caught by cops for it, i'll just say sorry mate, thought it was stock, baught it second hand.

do you think the cop's just going to say "ah, that's fine then, hope you have a lovely day :)". you'll still get fined, lose points, lose your licence for 3 months. then you'll have the vn sitting there doing nothing. and you say you'll be happy with a supercharged engine - that's all fair and well, but do you know the comp of your new engine? if it's high comp (which it probably will be) you'll be wasting your time with a supercharger later on. you'd want to rebuild the engine again, with lower comp, so to accommodate for more boost. this is all wasted $$$ even if you do 'get 4k in every 3 months'.

...leave all the other p platers for **** :)

this is the EXACT reason why you're banned from driving a high powered vehicle, because of your stupid mentality combined with virtually no real driving experience. whatever makes you feel like your dick is bigger than it really is though. imagine how awesome you're going to be by leaving other p platers for ****, they're all going to want to be just like you. in a wheelchair braindamaged within 3 months. and then when everyone's off their p's, they'll all be driving VY clubsports. except for you, you'll have a vn v6 and no money.

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only

Leebo

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN
Levymetal are you saying you would have the performance of a stock 5ltr with just a CAI and Yella Terra roller rockers? If so I'm buying some tomorrow.

Some responsible advice for a fellow petrol head about to get his P's is make the car handle, brake and safer first before you make it go faster if you have that sort of money.

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
true better to be alive at the end of ya p plates then take in some good hp numbers rather than end up dead in the first year :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

thats not to say you cant drive it just that untill you have reasonable ability in most conditions its best to no ya car inside and out sideways and straight i still get a high hart rate from time to time from my race v6 its steeped out sideways at 160 trust me not good lol

its the same as what i tell first time racers just because it seems fast and its in a straight line dont meen you wont roll a car safety first take it easy your life aint worth your ego