Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Permanently mounting a trickle charger in a VF sedan

RTSV6UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director build number 332..."CALDIR"
Hi all

Has anyone tried to permanently mount a CTEK trickle charger in a VF sedan?

I have seen cars such as new Maserati's basically have a 240volt outlet inside the boot where you simply connect an extension lead from your powerpoint in your garage to an outlet inside the boot of the car and it trickle charges the vehicles battery with an on-board, hidden CTEK charger.

I think this would be fantastic for those keeping their Motorsport Editions/Directors in storage with very minimal use.

Does anyone know how hard it would be to run 12 volt wiring from the batteries location under the bonnet to the rear boot so I can mount a CTEK charger inside my boot? I will probably just mount the CTEK charger to the moulded boot liner so as to avoid doing any damage to the car itself such as drilling holes.

Could the wiring be installed from the front of the vehicle to the boot without doing any drilling or cutting? ?f so what is the best route?

Regards,

RTSV6UTE

baldy-calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
Hi all

Has anyone tried to permanently mount a CTEK trickle charger in a VF sedan?

I have seen cars such as new Maserati's basically have a 240volt outlet inside the boot where you simply connect an extension lead from your powerpoint in your garage to an outlet inside the boot of the car and it trickle charges the vehicles battery with an on-board, hidden CTEK charger.

I think this would be fantastic for those keeping their Motorsport Editions/Directors in storage with very minimal use.

Does anyone know how hard it would be to run 12 volt wiring from the batteries location under the bonnet to the rear boot so I can mount a CTEK charger inside my boot? I will probably just mount the CTEK charger to the moulded boot liner so as to avoid doing any damage to the car itself such as drilling holes.

Could the wiring be installed from the front of the vehicle to the boot without doing any drilling or cutting? ?f so what is the best route?

Regards,

RTSV6UTE
Why???????? isn't the battery in the BOOT???????

RTSV6UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director build number 332..."CALDIR"
Why???????? isn't the battery in the BOOT???????

Hi

I must have my blonde wig on today....thanks for that! 2 x VF Utes, 1 x VF2 Redline and now a Director and didn't know the battery was in the boot!

Regards,

RTSV6UTE

scooter02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline ute
I haven't used a CTEC, and haven't mounted the charger permanently in my ute, but have found this option to work well...Its a Victron Energy charger that I have hanging in the garage near where the front of the car is when it's parked, with a short fly lead and plug connected to the jump start point under the bonnet.
In the Utes the battery is inside the cab behind the passenger seat, so I didn't want to have the lead go through the door...I can leave the bonnet not latched with the 12 volt lead going under the bonnet above the headlight and still cover the car if I'm not using it for a while.
The other thing I like about this charger is the Bluetooth option, I can connect with my phone and check the battery and the charge mode that it is in, fairly basic but handy...View media item 298View media item 297View media item 296

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I found them. If I have time 2morrow I will stick 7 photos on the Forum.
I have this car nearly 2 years and I have done only 450Kms LOL. Well I have other cars for 45 years and only have 25,670 Miles on the Clock Most people do this in one year not 45 of them (years) LOL,LOL.. The System works Very well as it charge the Battery ONLY. I do not recommend using the the Outlet they have this is use for ,,Say a hand help lantern aa have the current going the other way might causes issue like pooping a air bag and you don't want to do that.

All our cars have the same system, Each have a Projecta Battery Charger on the Wall next to a dedicated Power Point next to each car. Its neat and tidy. All Sockets are under the plastic boot or under the Inner Guards. Everything is double insulated and fused.. The Lid is spring Loaded with high impact plastic and made of Stainless Steel (from Jcar)

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here you go
Inside the Boot where the Spare lives.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

You'll notice that the double insulated cable is in the lower corrugation so when you put your spare tyre back in the wheel well it does not interfere with the cable and tie mount.

You will notice the yellow insulation as this gives another insulation on the already double. I am being cautious here. Again when the tyre goes in, it does not interfere with anything. When everything else goes in place nothing it interfered with.

The charging circuit is directly across the battery terminals. You will notice a fuse on the right hand side.

Last edited: