Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Permanently mounting a trickle charger in a VF sedan

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1

Again the fuse is on the right hand side.

The cable plugged in to the socket. When you removed the charger connector the door automatically shuts closed. Its spring loaded. Everything is made from high impact plastic and stainless steel so there is no rust. A member on this forum said that the cable ties are on the outside. I think he was confused. Nothing is on the outside apart from the socket to where you used to plug into.

Sorry i stuffed this photo up. When i resized it I removed one too many zeros. Anyhow I used a projecto trickle battery charger. Each charger has its own powerpoint next to it and when I dont need it I just unplug it from the car and unplug it from the charger itself and roll the lead up.

Last edited:

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V

Again the fuse is on the right hand side.

The cable plugged in to the socket. When you removed the charger connector the door automatically shuts closed. Its spring loaded. Everything is made from high impact plastic and stainless steel so there is no rust. A member on this forum said that the cable ties are on the outside. I think he was confused. Nothing is on the outside apart from the socket to where you used to plug into.

Sorry i stuffed this photo up. When i resized it I removed one too many zeros. Anyhow I used a projecto trickle battery charger. Each charger has its own powerpoint next to it and when I dont need it I just unplug it from the car and unplug it from the charger itself and roll the lead up.
Very nice, any more pics of your entire stable of cars? Sounds like a nice setup.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Do you have a part number for the Projecta charger?
Can you plug more than one car in per charger?

Nice work by the way - is the 12 volt socket a "marine" rated one? - that's the only thing I'd be changing if it was mounted under the car, only because most people would drive their vehicle in all conditions, and it seems quite a few people love your idea.

RTSV6UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director build number 332..."CALDIR"
Hi

The charger looks like a Projecta AC250B (1600 milliamp) hanging on the wall. I just purchased one as a trickle charger for my Director but are going to do my install differently.

The charger has a bracket that allows you to install the trickle charger on the side of the battery without putting any holes in the car, I will then feed the 25cm 240 volt lead into the general boot area without cutting anything or drilling any holes whatsoever.

So when I want to charge the battery all I do is open the boot and plug my nice yellow extension lead into the 240 volt connector that is inside my boot.

This way I don't have any electrics exposed to the elements and wherever I take my car the charger is with it!

Regards,

RTSV6UTE

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Very nice, any more pics of your entire stable of cars? Sounds like a nice setup.
This will be the very last I will post photos of anything as some Forum change there name and have new terms and condition where that state that they own you and everything else. I had personal photos of our house put on the on googles. Never again.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

Nice work by the way - is the 12 volt socket a "marine" rated one? - that's the only thing I'd be changing if it was mounted under the car, only because most people would drive their vehicle in all conditions, and it seems quite a few people love your idea.
No one charger for one car otherwise it wont work

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
No one charger for one car otherwise it wont work

I don't think Jcar sell it anymore. Yes Marine grade. It can put up with everything, rain hail and shine. Make sure you put the Socket on the right way otherwise when going at 100Kph your spring door will open with the breeze. Some have done this and wondering why mud has entered the opening that has a "O" ring

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
This will be the very last I will post photos of anything as some Forum change there name and have new terms and condition where that state that they own you and everything else. I had personal photos of our house put on the on googles. Never again.
Fair enough... thanks anyway.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Hi

The charger looks like a Projecta AC250B (1600 milliamp) hanging on the wall. I just purchased one as a trickle charger for my Director but are going to do my install differently.

The charger has a bracket that allows you to install the trickle charger on the side of the battery without putting any holes in the car, I will then feed the 25cm 240 volt lead into the general boot area without cutting anything or drilling any holes whatsoever.

So when I want to charge the battery all I do is open the boot and plug my nice yellow extension lead into the 240 volt connector that is inside my boot.

This way I don't have any electrics exposed to the elements and wherever I take my car the charger is with it!

Regards,

RTSV6UTE

Cheers for that, I think having the charger outside the car is the way to go - that way the car can locked in the garage whilst charging.
That means the alarm would be active as well. I personally don't like the idea of leaving the car unlocked, even in a locked garage with cameras all the time. Just makes it a little harder to steal/gain access into for thieves.

VIRGOMONKEY

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT ACCLAIM V6 WAGON. 2017 VF 2 REDLINE WAGON.
Hi all

Has anyone tried to permanently mount a CTEK trickle charger in a VF sedan?

I have seen cars such as new Maserati's basically have a 240volt outlet inside the boot where you simply connect an extension lead from your powerpoint in your garage to an outlet inside the boot of the car and it trickle charges the vehicles battery with an on-board, hidden CTEK charger.

I think this would be fantastic for those keeping their Motorsport Editions/Directors in storage with very minimal use.

Does anyone know how hard it would be to run 12 volt wiring from the batteries location under the bonnet to the rear boot so I can mount a CTEK charger inside my boot? I will probably just mount the CTEK charger to the moulded boot liner so as to avoid doing any damage to the car itself such as drilling holes.

Could the wiring be installed from the front of the vehicle to the boot without doing any drilling or cutting? ?f so what is the best route?

Regards,

RTSV6UTE
Hey good point...and lucky i found this youve posted ages ago but still relevant today...i have a vf 2017 and want to float it to do some cranking tests to see if battery on way out.
Firstly how has yours gone as in did anything in electrical system not like a electronic type charger connected...
If all good...i realised and thought this might help you that it might be easier to clip on to the jump start terminals in engine bay...that way bonnet stays open and ya not trying to close boots or tailgates...leaving the lights on...

so out there if anyone reads this and done it any issues?.should be a common connection to batt...could even fit like you said in the maserati...but just have a charger terminal fitted in bay