Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Permanently mounting a trickle charger in a VF sedan

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yeah, I also looked through mouser after you mentioned them and didn’t find anything looking like it would remotely fit the vehicle plug…

Tomorrow I’ll look closely at the plug within the car and see if it has any identifiers that may hint who makes it and what line it may be…

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sadly there are no identification marks on the x499 connector so I decided I've done enough investigation and it’s time to make a prototype CTEK to trailer adapters plug and a service brake connector to battery lead so I can charge the car without the boot being open (or the boot seal squashing the CTEK cable if the boot was shut) :p

Interestingly, when cutting the CTEK supplied eyelet lead, the bare wire diameter is just under 1.2mm which makes it 17 gauge and 1/2 the thickness of the vehicels trailer plug wiring for earth (white) and service brake (blue) wires so the will be no smoke or fire :cool:

And my earlier concerns about battery current sensor and CTEK earth placement via going through the trailer plug isn’t an issue as many people have used the battery posts within the engine bay to connect their CTEK charger without problems ;)

Pictures of the adapter and battery loom will be added later. For now the car has been on charge since lunchtime and nothing has burnt to the ground so I’m content :cool:

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
PS: according to the pics within the workshop manual, it seems the x499 connector look very similar to the k8 blower motor control module x2 plug as shown on page 8331 and the k40 seat memory control module x1 plug as shown on page 8418 of said workshop manual. The following is listed for these later plugs:

Connector Part Information
  • Harness Type: Instrument Panel
  • OEM Connector: 15226103
  • Service Connector: 88988507 / Service by Harness - See Part Catalog
  • Description: 2-Way F 6.3 Series (L-GY)
Sadly despite the looks, the workshop manual provides a different OEM connector number 13580776 for the x499 connector :rolleyes:

But I'm not about to start pulling off cabin trim to find the blower control module or seat memory control module and compare actual connectors with whats in the boot :rolleyes:

I‘d still like to source a factory connector for the service brake to battery loom… rather than the current wire with a spade connector but I won’t let that stop me charging the car with the boot shut :D So if any Holden guru knows and can advise what the correct part number is, so I can make an idiot proof loom, it would be appreciated by more than just me (hopefully) :cool:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK, gotta say, using the trailer plug to charge the battery is much easier than anything else... Love it..

So here are some pics :)

parts.jpg

I used the CTEK battery loom and cut it as shown...
adapters.jpg

and the "CTEK to trailer adapter" plug all finished along with the high tech "x499 to battery" loom.
adapters done.jpg

And the high tech battery loom in place.
connected to battery.jpg

It's pushed into pin 2 of x499 connector (the thick blue wire, electric service brake wire)
x499 connector 2.jpg

And for those interested where the earth point is for the trailer connector, its the bolts to the left in the pic below
trailer earth2.jpg

And the mess that is the wiring after the years old dealer towbar install
wiring mess.jpg

The improvements I'd make would be to use the CTEK CTX indicator eyelet accessory to make the trailer adapter as it provides led indication of charge level. I'd also cut the accessory loom at the eyelet to make the ctek - trailer adapter lead longer than the prototype i made.

I'm still on the hunt for a factory plug to the x499 connector to make the battery loom idiot proof...

Edited to add the following:

As suggested in later posts, an inline fuse should be added to the battery adapter loom. If one isn using the CTEK indicator leads as a basis for their adapter, it already has an inline fuse included :cool:

Oh, and for the OCD among the forum members, you may want to look at how the power lead is bolted to the battery and whether the auxiliary threaded post can be used so that the plastic red cover actually closes nicely when the lead is attached. At the moment mine doesn’t fully close and I don’t want to cut it so version 1.0 will be better :p

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
OK, gotta say, using the trailer plug to charge the battery is much easier than anything else... Love it..

View attachment 232941

View attachment 232942

and the "CTEK to trailer adapter" plug all finished along with the high tech "x499 to battery" loom.
View attachment 232945

View attachment 232946

It's pushed into pin 2 of x499 connector (the thick blue wire, electric service brake wire)
View attachment 232947

And for those interested where the earth point is for the trailer connector, its the bolts to the left in the pic below
View attachment 232948

View attachment 232949

The improvements I'd make would be to use the CTEK CTX indicator eyelet accessory to make the trailer adapter as it provides led indication of charge level. I'd also cut the accessory loom at the eyelet to make the ctek - trailer adapter lead longer than the prototype i made.

I'm still on the hunt for a factory plug to the x499 connector to make the battery loom idiot proof...
Good job, you ain't bad on the electrical work :)

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

View attachment 232941

View attachment 232942

View attachment 232945

View attachment 232946

View attachment 232947

View attachment 232948

View attachment 232949

I’d definitely be putting a fuse or circuit breaker in that red wire!

Imagine what would happen if someone somehow shorted the electric brake wire to ground at the trailer socket!

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon

View attachment 232941

View attachment 232942

View attachment 232945

View attachment 232946

View attachment 232947

View attachment 232948

View attachment 232949

The Ctek indicator lead has an inline fuse.
That's what I am using in both of my cars to check my charge level by just looking in the back window of the wagons.

edit: Thanks for the write up and great photos @Skylarking - much appreciated.
20220131_162503.jpg

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Known by Industrial Electricians as the death lead :p
Hahaha, yeah, nah hope not…

It’s so easy to unplug the battery loom from the x499 connector and push the live end into a plastic connector I have which will insulate and isolate power from the trailer connector when the CTEK charger not in use… So for the moment nothing should ever happen unless I’ve had a few too many beers and plug the power loom into the wrong x499 socket, the thin purple/white wire which goes to BCM :rolleyes: A fuse may not help in that situation:eek:

I’ll update the post above
I’d definitely be putting a fuse or circuit breaker in that red wire!

Imagine what would happen if someone somehow shorted the electric brake wire to ground at the trailer socket!
Cheers.

Yes, obviously an inline fuse will be added to the prototype just to be electrically safe as smoke and flame ain’t good… just need to find the one I have hiding in my garage somewhere or pop by the store and pick one up :cool: Better still make the mark 2 adapter using the indicator lead which has the inline fuse… Till then I’m living on the ragged edge :p:p:p

Still looking for/wanting the mating connector for that factory x499 plug… if anyone has hints…