Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Perspex cutting

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
Anyone have any ideas on the best way to cut a large sheet of perspex down ?

Need to cover over a cracked glass door (internal) and discovered we had these big perspex sheets but have heard jigsaws, etc can crack or melt the perspex if not used correctly

Alternatively anyone know of any places that cut large sheets to size ?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
How thick is it? 3-5mm??
Jigsaw should be alright, just take it slowly? maybe try it on a little bit, close to the edge.

Why not just get a new bit of glass, lol?

Any plastics company local should be able to, I think they just use a ban saw? In gosford we have a starlight plastics? I think? there should be one floating around somewhere?!!

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
yeah i did it once with a hacksaw, pita.
heard similar things to what you said about the jigsaw. if you go to fast it kinda melts it to the blade and it's bad news.
good luck dude

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I had a perspex door put in our shower door to replace the glass, and had to take it to a plastics company that used a band saw, and a coolant/lubricant to cut it, to cut it down.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I used a circular saw lol, worked a treat.

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
circular saw or jig saw will do the job. just make sure you have a fine blade, with lots of teeth.

if you use a circular saw, set the blade so it only just cuts through the acrylic.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Jigsaw works just fine, make sure u have a blade for cutting perspex though, it will say on the packet if its suitable.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Best way is a panel saw but most people don't have one large enough. Any other rotary or bandsaw will do. Use blades designed to cut ALUMINIUM not wood.

Tip: - Soak some newspaper in soapy water - kitchen detergent. When wet put it on the perspex (PMMA Poly Methyl Methacryclate - true name 'Acrylic', perspex is a brand) and allow it to dry. Then cut. It will limit chipping of the edges as you cut. Other ways do do the same thing is to mark out your cuts with nikko, then apply 2" masking tape over both sides. The wet newspaper works best as it allows you to slide the whole sheet around without scratching.

Afterwards to clean up the edges, scrape with the back of a stanley knife blade. Or - if your up for something dangerous - Clamp an electric plane on its side with its plane set for about .25mm penetration. Turn it on and run the plastic against it.

A router is the very best method, but a home router is not good. You need a table mounted router and to move the sheet or you run a real risk of major cracking and chippping or even breakage.

ACrylic is a cheap **** plastic. Any of the major Plastic companies just about give it a way. 8' x 4' x 4.5mm Sheets of clear are worth less than $90. most of them will cut it for you as well. 6mm is about $125 a sheet.

Good luck - and if your in Brisbane I can sort you out.