Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Peterbilt RIG2 Competition

Frenzal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec.
Peterbilt, the ever popular American truck manufacturer are running a competition to design their latest truck. To apply with new US and Canadian laws all new production trucks must have several forms of aerodynamic features, including roof fairings, sloped hoods, curved grills, etc. The 'Road Icon Generation Two' needs to be a truck that will be the new face of the Peterbilt truck company following the demise of their famous long nosed conventional style trucks.

With a whopping $7.5k as first prize and another $7.5k in runner up prize money this is certainly a competition worth entering. I'd love to encourage anyone with design experience to participate.
To read the design brief visit this page: Peterbilt: Road Icon Generation 2 - RIG2 Design

I've begun on my own design, working primarily in 3d but a decent 2d rendering may follow. If you're interested you can follow me here: Peterbilt Modern Retro @ The Forge

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
I like your design compared to some of the others on there, do you think the bonnet should slope a bit more?
also why doesn't the new 579 meet those new design requirements?
good luck with the competition, i have added it to my favourites.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
What CAD programme are you using to design this Frenzal?
The render looks great. Credit to you. How long did take to do?

Frenzal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec.
I like your design compared to some of the others on there, do you think the bonnet should slope a bit more?
also why doesn't the new 579 meet those new design requirements?
good luck with the competition, i have added it to my favourites.

Thanks, yeah I'm not a big fan of all the spaceage designs that they have going on. I could slope the bonnet some more but it wouldn't look as tough ;) plus it might interfere with the radiator. As far as I know the 579 does fit the new requirements but Peterbilt doesn't really consider it an 'iconic' truck to their line.

What CAD programme are you using to design this Frenzal?
The render looks great. Credit to you. How long did take to do?

Currently just using Blender, it's free and fairly easy to use. It's not a proper CAD program per say but more of a program designed for game modelling and rendering rather than technical designs. I've been working on and off the last three or four days.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
Thanks, yeah I'm not a big fan of all the spaceage designs that they have going on. I could slope the bonnet some more but it wouldn't look as tough ;) plus it might interfere with the radiator. As far as I know the 579 does fit the new requirements but Peterbilt doesn't really consider it an 'iconic' truck to their line.

"well in that case your design is excellent and well worth a prize."

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
BUMP!
hey guys checkout this design and the competition. voting starts tomorrow.

frenzal, love your work, I don't think youy have much competition other than new icon road, I think the spare wheel /toolbox compartment will let him down.

Frenzal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec.
Thanks bud. Overall I'm pretty happy with my finished product. I would have liked to have done some things differently but I had to follow the guidelines.
This was my finished folio Peterbilt Modern Retro @ The Forge

In all honesty I don't think I'll fare well in judging. From what I've seen the judges are tending to favour the more futuristic trucks but I guess that's where natural progression is heading.

There was a few other designs in there that I quite liked, the one you mentioned jatsvl, included. I'm on the same boat about the big chrome cover on the side of his though. In his final folio he included a version without it and it looked far better.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
well futuristic or not they have to pick something that suits peterbilt and will SELL.
I am a reletively new truck driver and in all honestly seasoned truck drivers will not want to drive a spaceship.
I think your design along with a couple of others should make a very short list by comparison to the amount of entries, I honestly think you are in with a chance of atleast the top 4

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
That looks really cool. Mine would have looked like this

cut-truckwords.jpg