Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Petrol smell in car

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Vy Senator Signature 5.7lt auto
Hey guys I have just purchased a VR Calais and and been noticing a petrol smell in the car. I can smell itmainly when I have just filled up the car. I can smell the petrol only inside the car, i lifted the bonnet and no smell from there and no smell near the exhaust. I did check the park after I moved my car and I saw 2 small drops of petrol. I think I have a slight leak but I dont understand why I can only smell it in my car.
Any help with fixing the problem would be great.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Hey guys I have just purchased a VR Calais and and been noticing a petrol smell in the car. I can smell itmainly when I have just filled up the car. I can smell the petrol only inside the car, i lifted the bonnet and no smell from there and no smell near the exhaust. I did check the park after I moved my car and I saw 2 small drops of petrol. I think I have a slight leak but I dont understand why I can only smell it in my car.
Any help with fixing the problem would be great.

Maybe your charcoal canister is full? Also check all the fuel vapour lines in the engine bay, that lead to the charcoal canister, and also check the vapour lines at the fuel filler neck, you will need to remove the right rear wheel, and then remove the panel that sits at the back of the wheel well, near the fuel filler door. A common problem is that the rubber perishes, and this could be allowing fuel or fuel vapour to leak out, giving you the smell you are experiencing.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Yeah man, more then likely its the EECS system. The lines GM used are just crap in fall to pieces. I had the same fault. U will need to drop the tank out to replace the two lines that are connected to the top of the tank..... Yup, its a bit of a mission.

Snotty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina auto s2
quick question slow vr,
when you drop the tank down whats the thicker black hose? is it in 2 sections cause i think mine has seperated.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Filler neck over flow, it goes from the top of the neck back into the tank. Its a prick of a setup, ive had to drop the tank a couple of time to ensure that all three lines (the 2 EECS/overflow hoses) dont get kinked.

Dead set its typical Holden, to make it such a prick of a job. The 3 pipes have to tuck up between like a rear chassis rail and body of the car.

If ya gunna drop the tank, put the car up on stands, get 2 trolley jack and a piece of timber or steel plate. Set the jacks up on either side of the tank and place the plate on the 2 jacks, then jack it up so its in place under the tank.

Then release all fuel lines n crap, then undo both tank straps. Then let both jacks down evenly.

To answer ur question..... NO it should b 1 piece of hose.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
From your description I'd be looking at the hoses which connect the fuel filter ( just forward of the fuel tank). They are about 50mm long and about 3 years ago some (OK - a lot) were sold manufactured with sub-standard rubber/neoprene - these hoses shrunk/cracked and eventually leaked. Maybe you have one of these. Maybe fuel vapour rises - any science students out there??...Dr Karl??

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
From your description I'd be looking at the hoses which connect the fuel filter ( just forward of the fuel tank).

Nah man, its the hoses that connect to the EECS (Evaporative Emmisions Control System), 2 come from the tank, 1 comes from the filler neck, they all join into a plastic housing, strapped to the filler neck, then 1 hose leads off the the charcol canistor in the engine bay. 4 hoses in total. They all perish. If it was the hoses that connect to the fuel filter he would have fuel pissing out every where.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Nah man, its the hoses that connect to the EECS (Evaporative Emmisions Control System), 2 come from the tank, 1 comes from the filler neck, they all join into a plastic housing, strapped to the filler neck, then 1 hose leads off the the charcol canistor in the engine bay. 4 hoses in total. They all perish. If it was the hoses that connect to the fuel filter he would have fuel pissing out every where.

When my fuel filter connecting hoses cracked and perished they did leak fuel to the ground. The hoses don't totally fail, they just dry up and crack externally and internally allowing a bit of fuel under high pressure to leak - a weep, then a few drops and then as the hose cracks further maybe a spray.
Vp_Calais said that he noticed 2 drops of fuel under the car when he moved it which is identical to my experience.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Yeah well when them EECS lines perish, when u fill ur tank up it ends up leaking fuel outta the top of the tank onto the ground.