Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Petrol Station Air Compressors

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
This would make a good "How-To" guide for some people who haven't been taught it yet :)

But, if you notice.. Most people who don't fill the tyres up, will normally take it to a Tyre Shop and pay for it :( .. (Most likely they don't know how to use the Air Compressors)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
LOL! hand written wheel alignment report, typical dodgy bob jane :thumbsup:

Ease up mate, just because its hand-written doesn't mean the work is dodgy. This particular shop has been highly recommended by 3 different mechanic shops in the area, and the work has always been A1, always willing to give very helpful advice, plus they do have a sense of customer loyalty by giving me discounts here and there.

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
Ease up mate, just because its hand-written doesn't mean the work is dodgy. This particular shop has been highly recommended by 3 different mechanic shops in the area, and the work has always been A1, always willing to give very helpful advice, plus they do have a sense of customer loyalty by giving me discounts here and there.

Thats cool man, obviously every store is different, I work at a tyre store and I've heard way too many bad stories about bob jane, don't know if its just in adelaide or not, but as long as you are happy with their work :)

God knows what wheel alignment machine they are using, all computer operated ones SHOULD be capable of a full print out, even the ancient ones.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Thats cool man, obviously every store is different, I work at a tyre store and I've heard way too many bad stories about bob jane, don't know if its just in adelaide or not, but as long as you are happy with their work :)

God knows what wheel alignment machine they are using, all computer operated ones SHOULD be capable of a full print out, even the ancient ones.

Probably a bit like Pedders, lots of bad stories, but there is the odd good shop.

saber

Reaction score
Members Ride
None - At the moment :)
I think 99% of the population dont know how to use the machines at servos that you now just set the pressure you want and connect and it does it all itself. Ill actually admit id never used one myself til a few months ago and to start with i had no idea what I was doing till I read the instructions. LOL (I have my own compressor at home, and i use the good old manual attachment that has a trigger to turn the air on and when you release it the guage on it shows your tyre pressue)

+1 to above comment

The petrol station air compressors are a "set and forget" setup.
Just specify what pressure you want to fill your tyres to, connect up and hold the nozzle to the tyre valve, and the machine will do the rest. It even beeps when the tyre is at the correct pressure!
Easy!

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
The petrol station air compressors are a "set and forget" setup.
Just specify what pressure you want to fill your tyres to, connect up and hold the nozzle to the tyre valve, and the machine will do the rest. It even beeps when the tyre is at the correct pressure!
Easy!

Easy yes, accurate no. If you believe you have what the display shows you're being naive.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Easy yes, accurate no. If you believe you have what the display shows you're being naive.

Always check mine with my own guage after filling. Never off by more than 1 or 2 psi. For a service that's provided absolutely FREE, that's pretty good.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Always check mine with my own guage after filling. Never off by more than 1 or 2 psi. For a service that's provided absolutely FREE, that's pretty good.

Not that I use them very often but I've found them to be quite inaccurate, sometimes out by as much as 6-7 psi.

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Not that I use them very often but I've found them to be quite inaccurate, sometimes out by as much as 6-7 psi.

I use them often, and check, and most are out by that much, sometimes even more!

it is also surprising how some people just don't check, and you tell them that "bulge" in one of their tyres means it needs some air and they don't believe you. Then you put a gauge on it and it reads 15-18PSI... then you roll on the floor laughing, cause it's a front tyre, and they couldn't tell...
natural selection maybe? haha j/k

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I use them often, and check, and most are out by that much, sometimes even more!

it is also surprising how some people just don't check, and you tell them that "bulge" in one of their tyres means it needs some air and they don't believe you. Then you put a gauge on it and it reads 15-18PSI... then you roll on the floor laughing, cause it's a front tyre, and they couldn't tell...
natural selection maybe? haha j/k

I can think of two reasons why people don't feel the need to check and inflate their tyres. Firstly, radials tend not to be so obvious when deflated unless they are severely down in pressure. A tyre with 20psi doesn't look all that different to one inflated to 30psi, and a large proportion of the population wouldn't think to drive with tyres inflated over 30psi. So, if it "looks" alright, it must be ok.

The second thing is the fitment rate of power steering. In years gone by, with manual steering, you knew your front tyres were down - the steering load increased enormously and the tyres squealed when cornering. Power steering reduces the steering effort so much that soft tyres are no longer obvious. Tyre squeal is probably just considered to be "normal" anyway, by the dills at least.