Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Photography

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
one uses film the other uses digital media ie; sd, xd cards.

they are the main differences

DARK SIDE

I’ll Fry Your Ricer
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 HSV V2 GTS Coupe
Chrism182 the Pentax K200D is what I have. It is a 10 megapixel Digital SLR and you can pick them up for about 600-700 at office works. I know its not $400 but it is worth the money and I am sure it is the cheapest 10 megapixel Digital SLR. Best of all its easy to use.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
If you are set on your 400$ limit then look around for a point and shoot that features manual focus + aperture + shutter priority as a minimum. Forget high zoom and high megapixel count devices.

You want something that will allow you to learn and enjoy the art. Seriously. Go in and talk to a salesperson or two and see what they can offer you with the above features. I have a strong preference towards canon when it comes to DSLR's but in the realm of point and shoot there is no real brand bias imo.

Another point to consider will be what sort of memory the camera takes. Ie SD, CF or XD etc.

SD would be my preference as a very large proportion of devices utilise SD memory these days.

Honestly, go in with a 400$ + a feature list in hand and talk a deal. There will surely be something out there for ya.

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
So far you've gotten suggestions that have been mostly out of your price range.

I would suggest you hunt around and find something like the Pentax K100D/Super, I bought one of these with a kit lens brand new about 10 months ago for under $600. I upgraded to a Canon 40D 2 months later, but not because the pentax was sub-par. Though not in production anymore, you could surely find one second hand in good shape that is within your budget.

Otherwise I guess you might go the non-photographer's gimmick way and buy an olympus because it's cheap and small :rolleyes:

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Good on ya mate! I am in the same boat as you, just starting to get into the basics. Got myself a 10.2MP digicam and a tripod. Nothing overly special, i'm just using it so i can work on angles, light settings, backdrops etc, then when i feel confident enough, i will look at purchasing something decent with lenses etc.

Need some inspiration? Have a look at Craig's (minux)'s photo landscape photography in the link in his signature. Some bloody amazing looking shots there.

DARK SIDE

I’ll Fry Your Ricer
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 HSV V2 GTS Coupe
Good on ya mate! I am in the same boat as you, just starting to get into the basics. Got myself a 10.2MP digicam and a tripod. Nothing overly special, i'm just using it so i can work on angles, light settings, backdrops etc, then when i feel confident enough, i will look at purchasing something decent with lenses etc.

Need some inspiration? Have a look at Craig's (minux)'s photo landscape photography in the link in his signature. Some bloody amazing looking shots there.

Me too mate, I feel like the hoby might end up costing me more than the car though lol:bang:

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Hahaha yeah i hear ya dude. I'm just gonna mess around with a basic digicam for the moment and see what i can come up with over a few months. Then i'll decide where to go from there.

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
Good luck with that, 400d's are still selling for 900+ with kit lens.

LOL, yeah I just had a look on ebay, would have thought they would have been around the $500 by now. Another couple of hundred and you can get the 450 brand new.

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
Find yourself a Second Hand Canon "G" Series point and shoot, not sure what they are selling for but they are your best bet, the G9/G10 have manual capabilities and shoot astonishingly good photos. Brand new they are $800 ish, so second hand they would be in your price range...

As others have said, DSLR's are the best to get your mitts on if funds permit, but watch spending on everything else die as you invest in better glass and in the long run better bodies, only have to look at myself and Minux for what we have spent in 12 months on cameras, lenses, tripods, monopods, all sorts of stuff...