Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[253] Photos wanted

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Hey all

Im chasing any photos of 253 for reference, mainly the emissions setup (Im talking about a HJ here) so mainly the Vacuum lines.

Im also chasing a photo of where the heck a manual choke cable clips into because it was sitting free. Im still learning my way round the engine (im from the Ecotec generation!) and whats what, from what Ive gathered it has a quad barrel carby on it although yes its a 253 if thats even possible???

The emissions lines have all been cut shut and plugged with an aftermarket air filter fitted, and Im trying to return it to standard.

I have a Haynes manual (or Gregories or something) thats not 100% clear. With things like solenoids missing its hard to tell what I need to buy to get it to work.

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
i dont think it is posibble to have a manual choke setup on the quadrajet its probbarle there from the last carby as the quads are done by hot air if that helps as for the polution stuff im not much help ive got a vh sle manule and it dosnt show much and would be diffrent

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Most 253s run the 308 manifold and a quadrajet these days (well since the 80s) you may as well leave it on becuase it's a good thing, just learn to jet it with the metering rods. There's isn't much in the way of pollution hoses on the HJ I think pretty much just the carbon canister

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
thanks guys,

I bought this ute because as I said Im from the Ecotec generation, so when the heck will I ever be able to play with a carby engine again?

Like most things this old its a bitsa, theres bits from everywhere. Greenfoam, I wasnt even aware you could fit the quadra on but I have confirmed it is. In that case then leigh that makes sense because it starts no issues, just need to put the foot on the accelerator for a bit to allow it time to warm up then it chugs along fine.

Greenfoam, there isnt much, just the canister as mentioned. Im just trying to work out where the few vac lines connect. Im also trying to work out what connects to the original air filter housing as theres a few open plugs.

As I said got this for some fun and to play around with an old engine which has prooven to be fun this far :thumbsup:

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
could you take some pictures what your not sure of i might be able to help a bit i know about 80% of them go on a vh etc where they go

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
also i dobt the choke is connected mine never was and it was fine

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
thanks guys,

I bought this ute because as I said Im from the Ecotec generation, so when the heck will I ever be able to play with a carby engine again?

Like most things this old its a bitsa, theres bits from everywhere. Greenfoam, I wasnt even aware you could fit the quadra on but I have confirmed it is. In that case then leigh that makes sense because it starts no issues, just need to put the foot on the accelerator for a bit to allow it time to warm up then it chugs along fine.

Greenfoam, there isnt much, just the canister as mentioned. Im just trying to work out where the few vac lines connect. Im also trying to work out what connects to the original air filter housing as theres a few open plugs.

As I said got this for some fun and to play around with an old engine which has prooven to be fun this far :thumbsup:

Yep you can fit the quadrajet straight on you just use the 4 barrel manifold from a 308. It will most likely be running a metering rod from a 308 however and there will be good gains to be had if you lean it out a bit so buying a few metering rods and playing with that will be well worth it, Search up how to tune a quadrajet on the net, bit of a dark art but it was the difference between a fast P plater and a slow one back in the late 80s, early 90 :)

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
thanks guys, I'll be re-wiring the car (lights dash etc) on the weekend so I'll grab some happy snaps of the carby and stuff like that and upload them :thumbsup:

I never thought of JC as a resource for the older engines too :D