Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pics/stories Of Peoples Projects Gone Wrong!!!!!!!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
When I was 17 my nan gave me her 84 bluebird wagon, it was mint
Only thing was it was auto. A friend of a friend had a smashed trx that was manual. Cash exchanged and I was on my way with everything for a conversion. The following weekend me and 2 mates set about the task. Everything went like a dream till I turned the key and it made a grinding sound. My dad came home from work looked at the parts on the ground and asked "was there a spacer on the auto fly wheel?" turns out I had put the spacer back in which made the manual fly wheel sit out too far and when the starter motor went to engage the fly wheel it touched the very edge of the ring gear.
Problem was resolved the following day lol

I'd say he was pretty switched on to pick that up. A lot of guys wouldn't have thought of it.

Years ago, I fitted a 186 to my HD. After a few months, the gearbox started making gawd-awful noises. I pulled it out and the front shaft bearing was stuffed, big time. The 186 had come from an auto and I'd forgotten to install a manual trans spigot bearing into the rear of the crank, so the manual box had been running with the input shaft completely unsupported at the front end. They don't like doing that.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Cant find any pics but
1 - bought a VK off a friend 202 carbie, harmonic balancer was had it kept falling off (friction fit) so what does someone do with no money he mig welded it on!!! couple of hours later the end snapped off the crank. After I built up a new engine for it it was a great car.
2 - Bought a VK calais 202 EFI - owner decided to paint the engine red, without masking anything up
3- Me did the EFI 5L conversion on my car grafted in a VR/VS battery box into the subframe skirt then decided to put the battery in the boot.
4 - Years ago decided to wash windscreen sealant off from around the windscreen rubber, accidently picked up metho instead of turps and wreaked the acrylic paint around the rubber
5 - My V6 Rodeo work ute, The Idiot at the Repco gasconversion place fitted lines and wiring clamps with self drill tek screws, he didnt listen when told about my duel battery setup and put a screw straight though the body into the battery box and through to the bottom of my battery. somehow he managed to hit the + plate int he battery shorted it out and completely stuffed it He also rerouted the earth for my trailer wiring ontot he towbar from the body of the ute to the tow bar cuasing a bad earth.

cant think of anything else

Scott

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
i bought an LX torrie a few years ago off a local lad, it was rough!

he started off paying local mechanics to work on it, no dramas there. but when he got low on cash he got this local backyard butcher to work on it for him. very bad idea!!

eventually he took it for a rego check and got knocked back for heaps of dodgy stuff this backyarder had done. fuel/lpg lines held up with zip ties is the best one i can remember!

anyways, the mechanic who did the rego check offered him $500 for it, i gave him $700 odd. keep in mind this is after he's spent many thousands on it, i wound up stripping it and making some coin at the end of the day. it sure was an expensive lesson for the original owner!