Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pics/stories Of Peoples Projects Gone Wrong!!!!!!!

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
ya i payed up front to get my car resprayed this is what i ended up with after 3 months and $3500

[

holly crap! your missing a bumper j/k

that's terrible if I spent that much money and got nothing in return I'd be going out wooping some ass

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Im fixing some key damage in my roof, When im finished ill let you all see, at the moment I dont even want to see.

Infanti

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
i painted the engine cover of my vx, the one that says V6 3800 on the front. Painted in in a hot yellow and looked better than i hoped, was glossy and i used engine enamel so it wouldnt stuff up from the heat, etc. So i finished it perfectly and thought, lets do the V6 3800 in black. Turns out my hand isnt as steady as i had thought. First stroke and i new it would look **** so i tries to wipe it off. Just smudged whole whole "V" letter, then dropped the rag on the top above the text. little black smudge on the top of the cover now too. I froze and didnt know what to do, i thought leave it to dry and spray one more coat of yellow, got half way through and the can runs out of paint, tried to wipe that off and took the previous layers of paint with it too. Bout another can of the same paint the next day and sprayed over it, looked good but i realised that coz i sprayed to much down (i was in a rush and didnt want to wait for the paint to dry, before second coat) that i filled in the lettering that says "sequential injection" down the left side, not to mention the runs of paint as well. It dried off and i sanded it back, another spray and it looked **** coz half had 5 coats now, some had 2 coats and some 1 coat. Thought 'f' it, gave up and put it in the car once it dried, not i never open my bonnet unless its dark and im alone, haha. Not to mention the next day when i went to clean up and saw the paint on the floor of the newly painted garage...........sometimes you have to laugh though!!!

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Going back into the mists of time...well, 1982 or so anyway...a guy here in town had a yellow XD Falcon with a 351 and top loader. The car looked sweet and he sent off the engine to a builder in Brisbane to get it "fully worked".
Back it came, costing $5000...now, this was 1982 remember...I had a pretty decent job and was taking home $180 a week and was paying off a 4 year old Commodore for $50 a week, so $5000 was an astronomical sum for just an engine build. the plan was that it would be the hottest and fastest thing in town, and we all believed him when we heard the specs.
Anyway, when he got it back and fitted in the car and he came up the street to show it off, we all marvelled at the engine...chrome everything, HUGE 4 barrel Holley, something like a 750 or 850 double pumper, and nice extractors. The engine was painted and detailed to within an inch of it's life, and reportedly had full-house heads, a wild cam, high compression pistons, roller rockers, steel crank, high volume oil pump, everything balanced, the full works, and should be putting out up near 500 horsepower...again, a truly astronomical figure in 1982 for a street car.
The thing was...it didn't sound all that good. Oh sure, it had a rumpety-rumpety idle, but he was kinda puzzled that it didn't seem to be freeing up like he imagined it would, and was using VAST amounts of fuel and was hard to start on cool mornings.
After putting up with it for a couple of months, hoping it would bed in and come right, he took it to a local engine shop, and after a check over the decided to lift the heads to see if something wasn't right or had come adrift. They found, to his surprise, that it was basically a stock standard rebuit engine with the standard original (and still carbon filled) heads (with, need I add, no roller rockers...), and it had simply been fitted with a massive lump of a cam with the huge Holley dumped on top...the damn thing had no hope of firing that mixture with that huge cam and standard compression and small valve heads.

Needless to say, he was slightly miffed and I heard he had a spirited discussion with the guys in Brisbane that "built" it for him...:yeah: :bang:

Last edited:

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Speaking of yellow paint Infanti, my old Kawasaki 750 triple is bright yellow, and once I had to paint the fuel tank four times.
The first time I painted it (spray cans...what, do you think I'd use a compressor? :yeah: ) and, in one of my repeating faults, I looked at it a couple of hours later and said to myself "just one more coat and it'll be perfect...". So I sprayed it on, and it promptly wrinkled up :cry: . I had failed to read the fine print which said "recoat within 2 hours, otherwise leave for 24 hours", and it reacted with the lower coats of paint.
Strip it and repaint, and I dropped it when moving it in the garage.
Strip it and repaint, and TWICE I put it outside to dry in the nice hot summer sun...bright yellow...out in the sun...and no-one told the little black flying bugs in the garden obviously that it wasn't a big flower...

After that I learned to spray it, be happy with it when it was good and NOT put "just one more coat" on it, and keep it out of the damn sun!!!!:bang:

RatrezistoR

BE CREATIVE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S
Wow those last two stories mad my guts hurt.. never laughed so much on a forum.. thanks for that!! Painting the engine covers and the motorbike.. rofl!!

Worst thing I did was in my 4x4 I had some mud terrain tyres (big knobbly ones) which have thick sidewalls etc etc.. long story short it was night time up at Coffs Harbour and I ruined a tyre.. ripped it to shreds on a rock going too hard. I finally replaced it with a spare and guess what.. forgot to put the wheel nuts on!!!!!!!!!!!!

IDIOT!!

Drove about 2 meters and everything turned to ****.. the spare tyre rolled into the local creek and I said '**** it!!' and set up camp.

Needless to say I didn't go 4x4ing for a while after that..

RR