Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Pinging speedway car ????

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
rules,rules,rules .A lot of other guy's with the same HP as me run them with no problems at all ,But we do have a rule book we have to run by .

also what is the thing at the end of the fuel rail called and used for ,mine had a big dent in it so i replaced it aswell/it has the return fuel line in one end and what looks like a small breather on the other end ??????

so i take it the VL pump is mandatory. ok. have you change the fuel pressure reg since the last time you raced it or before and it still blew the head gaskets? the small hose on the end is a vacuum line and must be connected to a vac source on the intake manifold

fit a fuel pressure gauge and check it during testing:thumbsup:

beg,borrow, steal a laptop and cable to hook upto the haltech and data log during testing to check AFR's you'll soon have a very accurate answer

Last edited:

RICHIE 34

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt sedan v6
so i take it the VL pump is mandatory. ok. have you change the fuel pressure reg since the last time you raced it or before and it still blew the head gaskets? the small hose on the end is a vacuum line and must be connected to a vac source on the intake manifold

fit a fuel pressure gauge and check it during testing:thumbsup:

beg,borrow, steal a laptop and cable to hook upto the haltech and data log during testing to check AFR's you'll soon have a very accurate answer

There was a fuel pressure gauge fitted and dale also had his laptop inside the car while he was doing the dyno ,he looked like someone from nasa with keyboards , laptops , headphones and a fuel gauge zipped onto the windscreen mesh.
and the thing still pinged after 6 laps ????:bow:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There was a fuel pressure gauge fitted and dale also had his laptop inside the car while he was doing the dyno ,he looked like someone from nasa with keyboards , laptops , headphones and a fuel gauge zipped onto the windscreen mesh.
and the thing still pinged after 6 laps ????:bow:

mate, igonore what the dyno says, you need to data log whilst the car is going around in circles. somethings obviously changing out on the track, thats the data you need.

RICHIE 34

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt sedan v6
mate, igonore what the dyno says, you need to data log whilst the car is going around in circles. somethings obviously changing out on the track, thats the data you need.

The dyno is more aggressive on the car than the car on the track .
Any more ideas people's ??????????????

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
the dyno is just a constant situation tho

everything constantly changes in a track condition.. thats the only place its playing up

check it there

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
everything changes on the track stale air from the car in front exhaust fumes etc air temps will be way different than in the dyno room

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah you have mud, no stinking big fan like you have in the dyno room. You have other cars, g forces. 6 laps instead of 6 seconds. Lots of different things going on. I'm sure most of the problems you are having are intake temp related

Jayme

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5L inj
being a haltech means fully custom tune, I would hazard a guess that little or no intake temp corrections are enabled in the tune anyway. when you are in the car on the speedway you are holding it near redline for those 6 laps it takes to start pinging. is your dyno operator holding it flat biccie on the dyno for at least that long? I would imagine with that many cars going redline for that long, the air temps at the track would have to increase a few degrees as well, which will not help if your tune is pretty close to the edge to begin with and has no temp corrections
why not knock a few degrees off the sparks and add a touch of fuel. what have you got to lose (other than a few hp)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I will be faster from lap 6 onwards if it not pinging too!:), a little more fuel will only cost you a couple hp if anything, it's not all that critical to power output , so try and cure it with that first before you cut the timing which will cost you alot of power

RICHIE 34

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt sedan v6
Hay all been a while but problem is fixed , 1st changed head gaskets back to standard and tensioned them down at 30,55 and then 60 , took it back to my guy in gympie , knocked some tune out of it put in a set of bp7efs-15 ngk plugs , he then gave it a good run back on the dyno and amazingly got more HP out of it , he helled it at 200 HP for about 2 minutes and it peaked at 215 HP , I WAS STOKED ..
Thanks to all for their input into this little problem i had.
I think a lot of the problem lied in the head gasket's being tensioned down to much , because there was a mark on top of a few piston's , just enough to take the carbon off them so when thay got hot and grew thay were just starting to clip the heads.
It still didn't help me on the race track though , but thats another story.....:yeah::yeah: