Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Pinging speedway car ????

RICHIE 34

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt sedan v6
Hi all just new here hope you can help me out with a problem i have at the moment.
I have a vt speedway sedan that is stock except for the camshaft this is open and is a camshaft that a lot of other racer's use ,dyno results when last done was 210hp at rw and 740nm of tlk.
My problem is that it started pinging 3 laps before it blew the lhs head gasket (standed gasket's) . I then used acl race head gasket's and took the car for a practice at maryborough speedway where it was ok for the first cpl of run's and then the pinging returned .
I then took it to my guy in gympie and put it back on his dyno and after 3and a half hours on it it was fine.
Took it to the speedway and 6 laps into the 1st heat it started pinging again and blew the rhs head gasket out.
WHY IS THIS...??????????

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
too lean or too much timing. maybe its not picking up fuel properly going in circles and going lean or it could be a temperature correction problem in the tune for spark or fuel

RICHIE 34

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt sedan v6
too lean or too much timing. maybe its not picking up fuel properly going in circles and going lean or it could be a temperature correction problem in the tune for spark or fuel

Always run a full tank of bp 98oct and temp never gets over 80,oil pressure good and 6 new plugs went in it when is was gettin dyno'd.
thanks for replyin so quickly....

Ross D.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
gees thats an alright power figure out of a 6. any chance you could give us any more info? also you should either grab a tune of delcowizzid if it keeps doing it or of greenfoam. they are the go with tunes for ecotecs, well i think delco is yet to prove him self with ecotecs but from what i've read he sure nows what hes talking about thats for sure!

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
gees thats an alright power figure out of a 6. any chance you could give us any more info? also you should either grab a tune of delcowizzid if it keeps doing it or of greenfoam. they are the go with tunes for ecotecs, well i think delco is yet to prove him self with ecotecs but from what i've read he sure nows what hes talking about thats for sure!

delco is doing a tune for me atm when i get it and put it in ill post results:thumbsup:

RICHIE 34

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt sedan v6
Thanks for that ross,the guy who does my engine and a lot of national and state champions race car's is dale at THE SPEED SHOP in gympie,a good guy to deal with.
But gettin back to my problem is when a car is dyno'd for over 3hrs and is all good and then put on the track it shits itself in 6 laps,can someone tell me why it ping's and why its blowing head gasket's not long after and why it retards or advances the timing to suit it self , and i all so run a haltec comp.appart from the cam it is stock as a rock ,it has to be in the class that i run in,if your found out for cheeting you will be on a 12 month holliday.??

davesmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk
Probley to much cyl pressure to early, maybe a slighly bigger cam will bleed off some pressure. We had the same problem but with a straight 6 and the main prob the tuner found was we were reving it to hard so we reduced the overall rear gear from 7.07 down to 6.83 and seemed to solve our problem and yes this it a speedway car as well.
Dave

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
pinging will blow gaskets out but its why is it pinging ide say its a temp correction issue in the ecu or something silly and its getting warm air and not feeding in the right amount of fuel or a temp correction for the timing.or the fuel reg is on the way out.could be getting a hot spot in the engine and pre-igniting early as well causing it to knock and blow the gaskets out from too much cylinder pressure