Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pinion nuts should be round... right?

PappaYeet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina L67
More fun during my diff rebuild. I got the bearing and seal kit from Mace and while most was fine, the pinion nut was deformed. Looked like it had been squished in a vice or something, and couldn't be threaded all the way. I got in contact, sent a few photos showing that one side was 1mm narrower than the other, and sent it back. I was told that a new one was being sent out before I had even sent my dodgy one back. About 2 weeks later I get a box in the mail, open it up and it's the same nut? Still looks squished, same measurements as before, still can't thread it all the way on. Even has a bit of old diff oil on it.

So I just thought I'd check, it's not supposed to be like this right? My old pinion nut was round but is also a different size. Surely just a mix up?
IMG_0465.jpg
IMG_0516.jpg
IMG_0466.jpg

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's an interference nut, it is squashed so it locks onto the thread as you tighten it up so it doesn't come loose. There is a procedure you follow to tighten it as well.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
It's called an "all metal self locking nut".

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Bearing preload, yes. But you tighten it to a specified torque, then rotate the pinion and torque it again. Can't remember the exact procedure, but it's not as simple as just tightening it up.