Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pioneer 4 inch installation

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Hi everyone...........i just recently purchased some new 4 inch 100w Pioneer speakers to replace my standard GM speakers (which are now distorting badly).

Yet......i cant seem to find a way upon gaining access to my old speakers (which are situated on the dash).........due to it being a vn calais.......

All I know, is that im gonna have to remove my air vent outlets if i ever want to gain access to that damn screw (which is securing the clip and the cover found on the dash)

If anybody could help me with such problem.......i would greatly appreciatate it.

Thanks (.....in advance)

Last edited:

aperfectcircle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute 04 VYIISS 5.7 M6
I think that you may find that they are a press fit.

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
hi 'A perfect circle'

Thanks for your comment but I cant make sense of it

What do you mean?

aperfectcircle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute 04 VYIISS 5.7 M6
The speakers may be pressed in to the holes.
Not just screwed in to place.

Don't quote me on that:whistling

Also have a look in the VN section on here.
May have been covered before, Use the "Search"

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Yes you do have to remove the vents man. I had to with my car as well.

The speaker grills may not fit back over the Pioneer speakers though. My soundstream 4 inch had too large a mounting depth so I no longer use the dash speaker covers.

The speakers are screwed into place. Just unscrew and remove and swap the speakers over. There are 4 screws.

aperfectcircle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute 04 VYIISS 5.7 M6
There we go, they are screwed in there.
Thats a good start.

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Ive unscrewed most of the screws i could find around the air vent.......but is there any hidden inside the glovebox or something?

Cause im close to removing the air vent (as it is loose) but i still feel there might be a few more screws left.

Just curious......is there any screws that can be found within the glovebox........in order for me to disamble the air vent completly

Appreciate a response

thanks

redlion05

Red Lion 05
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2
Ive unscrewed most of the screws i could find around the air vent

Cause im close to removing the air vent (as it is loose) but i still feel there might be a few more screws left.

Just curious......is there any screws that can be found within the glovebox........in order for me to disamble the air vent completly

its the only way accessable to the screw........(from my POV)

Appreciate a response

thanks

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
iv done it before, there is a hard-to-find screw at the top of the vent. i had the same problem and took a few attempts to find it.

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
azzfox said:
iv done it before, there is a hard-to-find screw at the top of the vent. i had the same problem and took a few attempts to find it.

There are a total of seven screws that need to be removed...

3 screws which hold that plastic plate that covers the side of the airvent.

2 of these screws are very easy to see however there are two hidden ones one is just above the kick panel on the passenger side just below the left side of the glovebox. The other hidden one is located in behind the fuse panel that drops down under the steering column.

Once u have these removed then there are 4 screws that hold the airvent on to the side of the dash.

2 of these you can see easily.
The other 2 can be a little tricky to find....one is located at the end of a tunnel (so to speak) if u look from the side of the dash.

The other is located towards the windscreen just in behind the airvent, takes a little bit of fiddling but you will find it...

Once you have the air vent off then there is one screw holding the speaker grille on, unscrew this and with a bit of a jiggle the grille will come off..

When you put your new speakers in you may need to cut one side of the speakers mounting tabs off so that it doesnt get caught on the grille as you put it back on (normally the one that faces the windscreen)...

I hope this helps in some way.....cheers

Lets work as a TEAM and do it MY WAY!! :w00t: