Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pioneer AVH-X3500DAB great value for money

M

magnumv8

Where do I start on this top unit.

Installed it a few weeks ago into my VY wagon-install was simple, plugged straight into factory harness and only had to swap constant and switched power wires-just unplugged and swapped bullet connectors-anyone can install this unit-no cutting, splicing, soldering or tape required.
DAB antenna was a little tricky due to crap instructions supplied-once I worked it out was easy enough to attach and connect.
Reverse camera and dvd wiring was simple, only had to change polarity of reverse camera in camera settings, DVD wire was run to switch-12 v constant input on one side and handbrake on the other connector-no relays or special stuff required just a $2 jaycar rocker switch and I have bypassed dvd restrictions.
Initial set-up was very simple-audio was easy to get sound quality and balance i am happy with, bluetooth connection to iphone was quickly and easily established, DAB radio was simple to tuna and store stations.

Ok the features:
DVD quality is great, picture quality is great-a little bit of glare when in sunlight but thats to be expected.

Menu system is so easy to use-all touchscreen which is very responsive-everything is literally at your fingertips.

DAB radio is awesome, only a few dropouts on a recent drive from my place at Narellan Vale(near Campbelltown NSW) to Umina on the NSW Central Coast-When I passed under large bridges or overpasses and went between high buildings the radio would dropout for between 1 and 10 seconds then return without and annoying noises it simply mutes and returns when the signal is back-I have travelled in a mates mercedes and I would say the dropout rate is on par so overall the digital radio quality is great. When I am driving locally I experience minimal dropouts-I can sit in my garage with the door down and pick-up all tuned stations.

AM FM radio is fine as you would expect from any poineer unit.

Bluetooth handsfree-wow-near perfect-no echo, no fuzzies. I have had comments from my regular commercial customers saying they thought I was using the handset not bluetooth......For this alone I would purchase this unit it benefits my business and increases my on road safety and reduces my call time due to having to repeat things a few times.
The phonebook interface from my iphone is brilliant-I dont have to tough the phone at all everything is on the touchscreen and is simple and easy to navigate around.

Reverse camera was simple to connect-a $60 cam from jaycar is in the bumper and gives great picture quality day and night-be sure to earth the camera to the chassis as I was getting dropouts when I had it connected to the reverse negative wire.

Bluetooth audio is great-very clear and my daughter can play her music from her iphone from the back seat-very handy feature for families on long drives.

Power output from this unit is adequate for the front splits and rear door speakers-its not going to move the earth but does provide enough to reproduce all frequencies without running out of puff at high volume levels.

Overall I can't fault this poineer unit, it sounds great, it looks great, it is easy to use and everything works to my satisfaction and I am a bit fussy.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
where did you get yours and what did you pay?

M

magnumv8

Ryda-$500, shouldve been more but they sold the on hold 2550 and did me a deal.

rockets84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS-V Sportswagon
Did you loose steering wheel controls with this head unit upgrade? Otherwise it looks like it will work with a CAT10 unit.

Ossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Does this headunit work with iPhone 5 via the lightning cable? I'm not worried about app radio but I just want it to display all the playlists and artists etc from the iPhone 5 onto the headunit screen.

Bomber R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII R8 Clubsport
Does this headunit work with iPhone 5 via the lightning cable? I'm not worried about app radio but I just want it to display all the playlists and artists etc from the iPhone 5 onto the headunit screen.
Yes it does although you have to update the firmware dated Sep 2013. All required files and instructions on the Pioneer website if you follow the links. Completely mirrors your iPhone 5 in Advanced App mode and by having installed apps on your phone such as Car Media Player and NavFree (uses data obviously). Then you use the screen on the deck as you would your phone. JB Hifi are selling these right now for $327.60 until midnight so bust out your credit card and order before midnight. RRP on these is $699. I literally had mine installed yesterday and it is awesome. And yes that is 37 deg outside temp, gotta love WA.

4ehequma.jpg

9yruteve.jpg

Bomber R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII R8 Clubsport
Oh and you gotta have the right cables. Also on the Pioneer website. Don't go China with cables as there are heaps of reports of problems, just get the Apple one and you are guaranteed zero headaches.

rockets84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS-V Sportswagon

According to this site it does support the iPhone 5 properly. This one reason why I was looking at it.

- - Pioneer Australia