Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

PIONEER DEH-6950IB - 5 Stars!

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Well I've never reviewed anything in my life, so here goes. I am also no wiz on audio systems or anything like that so please bear with me :).

I recently purchased the aforementioned head unit off eBay for a total of $330 + $40 postage. The only retail price I could find (and I don't think is correct) was $580, whereas the previous model (6850MP) was $660.

Anyway, I replaced my DEH-5750MP with the new one, and I couldn't believe how much better it was.

Couple of nifty features:

Has a 3.5mm stereo socket at the back of the h/u for plugging in an MP3 player, etc., along with the standard Pioneer IP-Bus connection (for CD stackers, etc.)

You can plug in various adapters including an iPod adapter, allowing you to control the iPod from the h/u. It supports USB memory sticks (with the correct adapter) and there is a bluetooth adapter available, allowing you to use the stereo as a handsfree kit for your mobile phone, etc.

The head unit features:

7 band Graphic Equalizer - 50hz, 125hz, 315hz, 800hz, 2khz, 8khz, 12.6khz
Bass boost
Loud boost (low, mid, high)
High Frequency Cutoff - 50hz, 63hz, 80hz, 100hz or 125hz

Now, my car stereo consists of the following:

Stock VX Executive front and rear speakers
Response (from Jaycar) 4x130wRMS amp, bridged (to supply 380wRMS @ 4ohms) to a BOSS 500wRMS 10" sub in a vented box.

Straight out of the box, the head unit defaults to the Powerful EQ preset, which makes it sound pretty good and to leave a good impression on you. I am never satisfied with factory EQ settings (and usually not satisfied with my own) so I am forever tweaking my EQ - and of course the first thing I did was adjust the bass boost.

The bass boost gives you a CLEAN boost of low end, I picked it probably boosts between 40hz - 90hz or thereabouts. Plenty of bass for people wanting just noise, and people who really want their stereo sounding good!

The Graphic Equalizer is improved infinitely over the previous 3 band Parametric equalizers which I believe have been predominant in all Pioneer head units up until this years models. It allows you to have two custom equalizer settings - Custom1 you can set for any of the sources (Tuner, CD, Aux1, Aux2), and Custom2 is applied to all sources.

All in all, no matter how you have the audio controls set, you get a RICH sound out of this head unit. I haven't turned on the Loud feature, because this head unit doesn't even need it, and Loudness just seems to add unnecessary overtones to the sound in my previous experience.

The display is blue, and you can select a few different animated backgrounds, as well as a few different spectrum analyzers. If not using a spectrum analyzer, it displays text related to the CD. For MP3s for example, you can choose to display Artist + Track Title, Artist + CD Title, Filename, MP3 Comments and CD Title + Track Title. I have not tested it with a regular CD with cd text, but I imagine it will function in the same way.

The three Menus are accessible by the good-sized knob (which you can turn left and right, press down on, and press each end of the compass). They can tend to be a little confusing at first when you're using the one knob to control all the functions and change all the settings but it didn't take me long to work out how it all works together. The three menus are Audio - allowing you to change all the above settings, Function - which allows you to set Random play, FF-Rev/Rough Search, Scan, Compression, etc. There is also the Entertainment menu which allows you to set the background animation or spectrum analyzer.

If you hit the Clock button, it displays the clock in a LARGE, very visible font.

338818745DEH-P6900UB%20large.jpg

Please note that this image is of the US model the DEH-P6900UB and has slight visual differences (there is no List button on the 6950IB).

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hey i was going to buy that exact unit! im glad someone reviewed it. so what would you give it out of 10?

Are there any flaws?

Reaction score
Website
www.caraudiofactoryoutlet.com.au
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
$549.00 is the RRP

They are a Brilliant head unit as we have had these for about a month now.

They only problem with ebay gear is there is no MANUFACTURERS Warranty.

Not even if you send it back to the mob you brought it from.... all the units that I have seen from EBAY have there SERIAL NUMBERS removed, the sticker on the HEAD UNIT itself which is under the Pioneer Label and the one on the box is also removed.... TOTALLY VOIDING the WARRANTY

We have these for $449.00 and covered by PIONEER AUSTRALIA

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
Also what you dont know about these units is that you can

There’s also a input for your car’s existing steering wheel remote and an output for the dashboard display

They will not tell you that one ebay as they have not got a clue

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Interesting!

Is that a specific Pioneer wiring harness you have to purchase? I'm guessing it plugs into the same port as the iPod/USB/BT adapter would?

Thanks

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Hey i was going to buy that exact unit! im glad someone reviewed it. so what would you give it out of 10?

Are there any flaws?

Unfortunately I haven't been able to actually 'drive-test' the head unit as I have been working and I have also had to finish tidying up some trim/stuff for my old VN which my brother is driving 7 hours to Wagga Wagga at 3am tomorrow morning.

But I will definitely be driving the car on Saturday and I'm sure I'll fiddle with it a bit! I have high expectations though, I'm already impressed and I'm sure that I'll be able to fix any little annoyances (audio wise anyway).

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
Interesting!

Is that a specific Pioneer wiring harness you have to purchase? I'm guessing it plugs into the same port as the iPod/USB/BT adapter would?

Thanks

No actually, as that would defeat the whole purpose of the IB!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
when did you get the VX?

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
CAFO - I don't understand :)

. (12VoltKing?) - I got the VX in July last year. Installing the stereo was 5 million times easier and simpler than it was in the VN!

Roshan725

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S Pack
Also what you dont know about these units is that you can

There’s also a input for your car’s existing steering wheel remote and an output for the dashboard display

They will not tell you that one ebay as they have not got a clue

That's very true hahah ^^