Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Pioneer DEH P65BT

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
Hey guys. I've never done a review like this before so bear with me please...

Intro

last year i purchased a Pioneer DEH P65BT headunit, when my stock Eurovox changer cried enough. i'd seen it in Motoquipe and wanted it, but got told no (parents...) until i couldn't use my CD changer anymore. so i finally bought it and here's how it goes...

RRP

Pioneer DEH P65BT Headunit: $649
Aerpro Wiring Harnesses: $30
AUX Cable: $2

Features:

MP3/WMA/WAV/AAC Playback
Built-In Bluetooth Connectivity
3 RCA Preouts
10 Colour Display and Button Illumination
Optional Ipod/CD Changer/CAT interface connections
Rear AUX input
Remote Control
Rotary Controller
Flip Down detachable face with storage case

Things I like:
:thumbsup:

What i like... where to start? OK here we go:
-Color Changing Illumination. Gimmicky i know, but i get bored really easily (just ask my ex's lol) and this was one deciding factor. it was different, and no1 i knew had this feature.
-Bluetooth. a godsend, especially since the new laws regarding the use of mobile phones was brought in. it allows handsfree calling, it allows calls to be made from the headunit or phone, stores contacts in it's memory. Sound is loud and clear. Have used phone as bluetooth media device, which plays music on the phone through the speakers. awesome feature. also shows signal strength and phone battery indicator on screen.
-MP3 playback. i love this feature, as it allows you to search for songs through the list, and eliminates the need for a changer (More room for the sub box)
-Detachable Face. used the storage case a few times in rough places so it doesn't scream attention from theives.
-Remote Control. Loss of the steering wheel controls, go figure

Things I dislike::ranting:

i do luv this unit, but if i had the chance i would:
-Add more lines to the display, and add the funky screensavers, as on the Pioneer DEH6950. 1 line info is not enough in most cases.
-it supposedly allows connection for more than 1 bluetooth device, but i have had issues connecting mine and my brothers phones at the same time.
-Flap Down Face. motorised face would've made a much nicer package
-a bit low spec looking imo

Star rating out of five: 4 out of 5

39338967205_big.jpg

OK, so it has a few things that i'm not content with, but overall it is a great unit. i installed it myself wiht help from dad, and ran an AUX cable into the centre storage bin for the ipod, the microphone runs from the unit, under the dash and is at the top of the A pillar near the visor.
i haven't seen another installed yet, so i feel kinda privellaged, owning a 'rarer' headunit, but i'm happy with it.

HOWEVER, i highly recommend NOT using the Aerpro wiring harnesses. it caused endless headaches when we bought them, such as non functioning unit and resetting whenever hitting a bump.

Cheers

CC

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
It's only meant to connect one bluetooth device at a time. You can register several phones though so different people can use it with different phones at separate times.

Be greatful you didn't get a motorised face, they wear out every few years and you have to have flexible ribbons replaced.

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
ok thanks for the info StoneX, greatly appreciated. as i said, nevr done it before and it's helpful to know those tips. thanks again

CC