Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

piston slap ls1 vx commodore

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
Hey guys. I recently had some work done on the top end of my car. Cam, lifters, springs, heads were decked etc. The mechanic mentioned that I have piston slap. I assumed the term would mean like a clicking like a lifter or something. So I changed all the belts and pulleys (to be sure). And was still there. I took it back to the mechanic and he reaffirmed it was piston slap. So its actually more a squeal.. I guess I'm really just after confirmation as I was quoted around another 6k for an engine rebuild (reusing what he can off mine to keeps costs down)
Its wierd...it wasn't happening before the work (not blaming the mechanic) but has recently started and seems to be getting worse....anyway...for those that have a minute to listen..

The cost of this engine is gonna stroke me out, my own personal stroker lol

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Sounds like piston slap to me. Definitely more noticeable when you have extractors. Don't worry about it unless it doesn't go away when warm - plenty of them have done it since new with no ill effect.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Nice of him to mention you have piston slap after he did all the work and you handed the money over guaranteed it would of been there before unless the mechanic took it out and thrashed it for a test drive .....on a more helpful note you could try changing the oil and mechanics

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Almost sound like a over tight timing belt these don't have timing belts but I would saavy up what went into the cam might be a bad tensioner or something on chain

Richard O'Donoghue

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS S2 5.7 Auto
LS1 motors are very well known for piston slap from new due to an inferrior piston design. They "fixed" this by VX series 2 supposedly. I have a VX series 2 and mine can be a little noisy when cold. Once the motor warms up it goes away. As long as its not continuing to slap once warm I wouldn't worry about it. One thing you could try doing is adding some oil stabilizer and see if that minimizes the noise.