Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Piston slap LS1?

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Howdy all,

Just wondering if what i'm experiencing is piston slap on my LS1.

First thing on a cold morning on my way to work, I take off gently and am presented with a wierd vibration noise from the front of the engine. I don't hear the noise when at idle, when the car has warmed up, or when the car is in neutral (and accelerating to the same revs), only under load when i'm actually driving (when the engine is cold). I have had a lack of power and a rough idle of late, is it a possibility that i've dropped a cylinder due to a dead spark plug lead or coil pack or are my injector/s shot? Or is it the worse case scenario...Piston slap?

Thanks in advance,
Boojakz.

helicraze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Clubsport R8
Mine does just as described, piston slap or lack of lube to the lifter i believe.

matqld

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt/vx ls1
get ya oil pressure checked, you done many k's??

matqld

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt/vx ls1
could b so many thing a, belt, power steering pump water pump idler bearings my not evin be in your motor, i go get it checked

matqld

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt/vx ls1
piston slap was only in the earlier models since 97 holden has superceded piston type 6 times last i checked, you try buy new pistons for a old ls1 you cant!! you can only get the polymere skirted ones
you cant mix n match either lol they weigh different n have different skirt size ect
not that yoiu would.

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
It's a 2000 SS with 107,000kms on her (original). I asked the previous owner if he had the engine change over and he said no and he never had any issues with it. It's not losing any oil and there's no other noises apart from the typical cold start up noises you get with alloy engines, once she's warm it's all good. I think one of the pullies is ####ed though, is really squeaky until it warms up.

matqld

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt/vx ls1
id say change the idler bearing or pulley n listen then, im forever replacing mine as soon as they wear they make wierd noises that freak me out too lol
my motor is dec99 build with 853 casting heads
yes we do have the slappy pistons lol
unless yours is late 2000built

kerrie0400

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
ive got the 01 vx ss with the ls1 i have been told its piston slap i thought it was lifters or valve springs i unsure so i stripping puttin new pistons cam rollar rockers and valve springs n lifters hopefully it quietens it down

hastey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Series 1 Auto
Upon cold starting, if you have piston slap, you will here it. It's a very distinctive noise that only lasts for several seconds. There should be no vibrations though from my experience.

helicraze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Clubsport R8
Gen 3 only came out in 2000!