Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Piston slap LS3 - this is very interesting

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
My car makes so many different types of noises cold or warm I'm not even sure which one is which anymore...

This, after reading all of Ron's posts I got super paranoid of the various noises mine made. I drive down an alley to get in and out of the garage so hear every little thing reflected off the walls.

It got a lot better after a service at a (hopefully) proper mechanic (I'm sure the Toyota dealer I bought it from put expensive oil in it for their "service" :rolleyes:). Perhaps just a placebo though.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What a stupid court defence, essentially saying All our engine's are crap, how can one customer expect a quiet one??
Well done to the court on this one.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
What gets me is we are talking about a US or Mexican built motor that sells in huge numbers in the States. What's the view of US customers regarding this noise? Do they just accept it or is GM in strife with multiple claims too?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
After the all the issues with the 1st batch of LS1 engines years ago you’d think they’d have this sorted by now it’s crap really!! What about the earlier LS3 engines that came in the VE HSV’s do they suffer the same issues?

Yes

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
What gets me is we are talking about a US or Mexican built motor that sells in huge numbers in the States. What's the view of US customers regarding this noise? Do they just accept it or is GM in strife with multiple claims too?
USofA is a different market where cars are sold at a cheaper price while customer expectations are also different. They dump their cars more frequently so the original owners may not see such issues.

And you can’t take a vehicle with poor NVH characteristics and sell it into a market at a price where the customer expectation is for a quite smooth ride with only a nice burble from the exhaust and intake. You also can’t take a poor quality product that will quickly break and sell it into a market at a price where people expect something to last longer without issues.

Holden sold the MSE for $70k so Aussie buyers will have a different expectation of the vehicle than if they paid $30k... Meanwhile the Chevy SS’s were sold in the states at runout prices so the owners expectations may be rather different there.

Down under it’s all about what is a reasonable customer expectation given the price. So I’m just grateful we have ACL and now a NZ court case to quote if Holden doesn’t play ball on this piston slap issue down the track...

But don’t discard the risk of US class action on this issue, if there is money to be made by lawyer :eek:

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Look at my old thread. My bores were oval in shape from piston slap after 35000km. Holden's report says it...

How many of the 8 pistons were slapping? Im assuming that the oval shape would have only been in those cylinders?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
How many of the 8 pistons were slapping? Im assuming that the oval shape would have only been in those cylinders?
No idea. Never asked

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
One is one too many;)

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Apparently the piston slap happens on the "2019 SS-V" :rolleyes:
Screenshot-20200123-130602-Samsung-Internet.jpg